Compaq presario v6000 problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmolytree, Jan 4, 2009.

1. jmolytree

jmolytree Private E-2

I have a Compaq presario v6000. This afternoon it was on and all of a sudden there were a bunch of horizontal lines across the screen then it went black. Now I try to reboot and all we get is a black screen, the blue lights on the top of the keypad light up but nothing else. I can here the computer trying to start but it's as if it is stuck. Any one have any ideas.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It sound like the video card has failed. If this is a desktop or tower computer, take a look where the monitor plugs in to the PC; if it plugs in to the same panel where the keyboard and mouse plug in, then the motherboard has the video built-in and the entire system board will likely require replacement. If the monitor plugs in to the PC further down (there will be a bunch of horizontal silver slots on the back of the PC), then you can open the case and remove the video card, and try plugging the monitor in to the connector up by the keyboard and mouse (if there's one there). If it's a laptop, there's not much you can do other than try to determine if it's the screen or the motherboard that failed. Plug a monitor in to the laptops external monitor port. Use the appropriate hitkey to send the video signal to the external monitor port; there is usually a key that will say "LCD/CRT" on it or will have a tiny picture of a monitor on it; hold down the "Fn" key and press that key once, wait 8-10 seconds for the picture to come up on the external monitor. If it doesn't come up, press it again and wait 8-10 seconds more, if it still doesn't come up, try one more time and again wait a few seconds. If it never comes up, then the video chip has failed and you'll need to replace the motherboard or at the very least, the video chip will require replacement.

Some more details about the PC would help too (Windows version; laptop or desktop?; exact model number; etc)

3. jmolytree

jmolytree Private E-2

Yes, The computer is a laptop. It's running Windows Vista Home Premium edition.
    It just says Compaq Presario v6000. Thanks for any info.

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

OK... it's a laptop. I checked the keyboard guide at the HP web site (link: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00771633.pdf) and the hotkey combo for an external monitor is "Fn" + F4; so hold down the "Fn" key (lower left corner of keyboard) and tap the F4 key once. Follow the steps I described above for switching to the external monitor. If you never get a picture, then the motherboard video chip has failed, probably due to getting too hot.

(BTW- there's about 20 different v6000 models; the exact model number is on a small white sticker on the bottom of the laptop; it will look like v6030us or V6048CL; the model number doesn't really matter in this situation; you'd test any laptop in the same way)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds