Netgear wired to wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChrisMTP, Jan 18, 2008.

1. ChrisMTP

ChrisMTP Private E-2

Hello all,

my scene: cable modem, wired netgear, wireless netgear > 6 PCs.

DHCP is on the wired, off on the wireless. Everything works fine except for one lap top.

I believe the laptop is set up correctly w/obtain IP and all that stuff. It has a windows firewall only. XPsp2 etc...

The laptop sees the wireless network. I am able to enter the security code but once I do that all I get is 'acquiring IP address'. That goes on forever.
    If I connect to the lan I *am* able to get on the network.

Thoughts?

2. jnorman10

jnorman10 Private E-2

what software is managing your wireless connection? Windows or a 3rd party vendor?

3. ChrisMTP

ChrisMTP Private E-2

windows is managing.

4. jnorman10

jnorman10 Private E-2

Maybe try software for the vendor of the adapter if they provide it on their website.

5. ChrisMTP

ChrisMTP Private E-2

I don't think that's the problem. windows sees the network, name, security everything...

6. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Tried Safe Mode with Networking? Same result?
    Update drivers on wireless card?
    Physical, electrical or electronic interference peculiar to this one location?
    Uninstall NIC, reboot to recognize and re-install drivers?
    Older laptop with possible loose internal antenna connections?
    (Left field suggestions.)

7. bosanova

bosanova Private E-2

Having same connectivity issue. Have ATT$T DSL w/ 2WIRE Wireless Router connected to Windows 98(Slap me if you would like), installed Netgear WG311 Wireless PC Card on another XP Machine. Everything worked fine at first.....Downloaded some stuff unrelated to the card or wireless (Games, Spybot seek and destroy and software,etc...)Suddenly lost drivers to wireless card and comm ports after applying wireless 0 in services manually. Reinstalled card connects but only at 1 Mbps. Can't ipconfig /renew. Can't connect to internet. Then downloaded program quit working, then I restored to point where program worked> Lost mrvGINA.dll and could not start windows XP> went safe mode unrestored> card connects but only at 1 Mbps> What the !$@%#*

8. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

9. Zigg

Zigg Private E-2

ok ive had similar issues with wireless routers/cards ok first of all windows is not a very good network manager so if you can get the one netgear gives you or download 3rd party... believe it or not it really could be windows(sucks at handeling wireless, only good for using repair tool to reset connection).

bosanova: your problem could be with the signal strength, or the wireless card you have is only able to have 1mbs so check both of those things also interference could be a factor, house phones, microwaves...

10. ChrisMTP

ChrisMTP Private E-2

When I was researching to trouble shoot my problem a common theme was turn off DHCP on the wireless router. So it's enabled on the wired router, disabled on the wireless. I"ll check your links when I get the chance.

thanks for everyone's replies. I'm only the IT guy when all my other stuff is done so when time is permitting....

11. ChrisMTP

ChrisMTP Private E-2

Cat5e. I followed the links you provided and my settings are the same as ezlan suggests.
    Here's an update. The problem I'm having was happening was on two lap tops that another person was using. My personal laptop worked fine. It worked so well that I quit using the our existing LAN (hard wired) and went wireless. Everything was fine for a couple weeks. One night I decided to take my laptop home so I unplugged the USB connections and the power supply. I then decided to leave it so I plugged everything back in and left for the night. I came in the next morning and now I am having the same problem that the other guy was having.

My laptop will not acquire an IP address. Well....it will for a couple seconds and then the connection is lost and it starts looking for another one. Repeat for infinity. The guy next to me (not the guy previously mentioned) has a wireless laptop and his is working fine. As far as I know the only changes made ANYWHERE are the ones I mentioned about me unplugging my laptop. Of course that should not make ANY difference but that's when the problem started.
    :-/
    any other ideas?

12. ChrisMTP

ChrisMTP Private E-2

Netgear is handing the connection. The windows wireless icon is in my sys tray but it says that another app is handling the connection. It's been there the whole time I've had the wireless connection w/no problem so I assume that is not the problem. I show a very strong connection. It does dump down to 1mb when it loses connection (see previous post) but I assume that is because it's actually losing connection and not vice versa.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds