I need an AVI to (VOB) DVD Converter - freeware

Discussion in 'Software' started by Brad321, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Brad321

Brad321 Private E-2

I want to convert an AVI file (movie) to a format that I can burn onto a DVD disc and play on a dvd player..I assume it would end up in VOB format. Anyone know of good freeware that will do this?

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi!

Welcome to MajorGeeks. :)

DVDFlick should do it. How to Guide.

3. Brad321

Brad321 Private E-2

Hi
    I tried DVD flick but when I pressed on new project it did nothing. When i clicked on open project it didnt recognise the avi file.
    thoughts?

4. sach2

You just click Add Title on the right to browse to the Avi. Take a look at the guide it really is pretty good. Just skip the steps about subtitles and such.

Don't ignore this part, it is the only default option that you have to considering changing.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  5. Brad321

Brad321 Private E-2

Hey Sach,

Thanks for the help. I still had some trouble tho. The only settings I changed were:
    I chose PAL for Australia and I ticked "burn project to disc" under the "burning" heading in "project settings".
    The AVI seemed to get encoded ok to a temp folder that I chose but then I had to manually start the burn process (would this be auto?)
    Then when i tried the disc in the dvd player - it just spat it out without playing.
    ideas?
    Cheers
    Brad

6. sach2

I'm not sure about the burning. I usually check create ISO and burn that in a separate process using Nero or imgburn.

I've never had a DVD from DVDFlick files not recognized in my DVD player. (I have only done it about a dozen times but my DVD players are older which I would think would make them more likely to have problems playing burnt DVDs)

Have you tried the DVD you burned in your PC is it recognized as a DVD movie by your media player?

7. Brad321

Brad321 Private E-2

The Disc does work in my PC but I have never had any problems watching burnt Discs on my LG dvd player which is why I feel its some setting or box I need to tick..Ill keep trying!
    Cheers

8. sach2

It might be easier to try and write the files to another disc using another burning program. I think image burn will do it if you point to the folder containing the VIDEO_TS folder.

If you have Nero same thing, it should give you some notification that it wants to burn the files as a DVD.

Have you used the same type of discs you have (DVD-R or DVD+R) with your player before and had success?

9. Brad321

Brad321 Private E-2

Ill DL Image Burn because I dotn have Nero on this laptop - I am running Vista so I didnt get a copy of Nero.
    The discs I am using are -R and had no probs in the past.
    I thought this would be a stright forward - 1 program. 1 touch of a button type job~! . . like DVDfab

10. sach2

It really should be that easy. The time spent encoding should be the annoyance.

DVDFlick produces very good quality images (although the encoding process is slower than pay programs like ConvertX) as good or better than anything else I have tried.

As far as imgburn for DVD burning I don't think I've actually used it. I would make a folder named movietitle put the empty AUDIO_TS folder and the VIDEO_TS folder in it and then point imgburn to the movie folder using "Write files/folders to disc" and see if it recognizes them as DVD files and let it make the suggested changes.

11. mickeblue

mickeblue Private E-2

I want to thank Sach2 for his replies in this post. Having had trouble with my usual burning software I was looking for an answer to the same question, so I followed his advice, got myself a copy of DVD Flick and now I've been able to do what I was struggling to achieve all week!

Many thanks :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds