Why I'm never spending money on printers again.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Rikky, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The straw that broke the camels back.

So I've got a half decent printer for free an epson stylus px700. Only problem is to test it, it wanted me to buy a black printer cartridge, I knew I shouldn't have.

I buy one for £11, put it in, print a test black and white picture and it prints a load of black stripes across a page. So the head needs cleaning? O.K clean the head, the head cleaning runs and finishes. Print another black and white picture, same stripey picture.

Another head clean maybe? NO! the cyan cartridge needs replacing now, the last of cyan ink was milked by the greedy absorber. So now I have to go and buy another £11 cartridge just so it can pump it into the absorber while not actually cleaning the head anyway.

I only want it for the rare case I have to make a black and white copy of a document. I don't need cyan, I don't want cyan, your not getting cyan Byaachh!!!

I'm done, Rikkys pad is now paper free work space, Forever!:major

BTW I still have £40 worth of cartridges for a canon pixma mp 540 which stop working because it's absorber was actually full, WTF:confused If it had managed to put a bit more of that ink onto paper I wouldn't have had to smash it with a hammer, I'm not even saying that to be dramatic, I smashed it with a hammer.

2. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Hey Rikky check number 7 on the list :eek

Check this

Now you know how much the printer makers are getting at you :mad

3. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I have one sitting in my basement for such a day as I need to smash something with a hammer. I figure eventually that day will come. :-D

4. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

I have an old HP P2015 laserjet black and white printer. Works like a charm, just keeps going. I buy toner every several years.

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

My daughter, who is heading for Africa, brought me her printer. It is still sitting in the box. :-D

6. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

When it comes to printer ink I currently using Epson xp-215 printer and I get my ink for it from amazon and its cheap I got 15 sets of ink (Black and Colour) and only paid £50 for that lot with free delievery.

7. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I'm gonnna go to the flea market and buy a cheap hammer and write PRINTER on it in case anybody ever asks me if I want a free printer. And I'm gonna say with a smile "Yeah".

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I hear your pain Rikky and my AIO HP D410 has in its scanner side decided to die just as I need to photocopy a few things, tried all the fixes and the worst part is I didn't know it was not working and hit copy instead of preview and the A4 page came out all black, there went 1/3 of a cartridge, and HP inks are not cheap (oh now I mention that wait for the printer ink spammers to turn up)

Luckily the printer side works ok, so I just in this instance used the Win Phone Office Lens app and superb for converting pics to text.

May just wait until I really need to scan again to get a new AIO printer.

9. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Yeah, my Cannon Printer is shafting me for money a.t.m. Clogged yellow head, then black fails, then Page black fails, etc. I'm getting fed up with this extortion! Grrr!!!....:mad

10. Rikky

And who invited you to this thread?

:-D

11. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

Apparently not you. Good bye.

12. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Ink printers are money sinks.
    Do some homework on reliability and pay the money up front for a commercial laser. Be sure to get one that will stand alone on your network and you will be hundreds of dollars ahead by the time it dies.

13. Rikky

Bet your off to print something:mad

14. Phantom

[​IMG]

roflmao

15. Rikky

I lol'd when I typed it.:-D

16. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

Inkjet printers are a bum deal. I'm a student and I get 175 black and white pages per semester at my college and that's more than enough, and when I graduate I'm going to purchase a nice, small black and white laser printer because for the rare occasion that I really need to print something out in colour, the local library will be there to assist me!

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

We refill all out printers, buy the ink by the liter. Many little tricks to beating the printer companies ink 'scam'.

18. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have an HP Photosmart C4000 that is 8 years old and when i bought it the cost was relativly low but as David said HP ink is not cheap but mine does last a long time ,my problem is i come up against the time limit on the cartridge and that really p****s me off.

It has given years of good service but i am not able to use it with my windows 8 PC as for some reason it can not see it.:(

19. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Bill like you I think inks run out way before they need changing, the monitors on printers are way out I think!

I need a new printer as my Envy 100 has a dead scanner, so found a new Envy 120 for £69 in sales on John Lewis, had to have it as I like small neat printers over huge bulking ones,

Win8 and your Printer Bill try uninstalling any drivers you may have already and try this HERE may or may not work.

20. Rikky

I did that with the Canon printer, loads of cartridges, ink refill kit, chip resetter to set the cartridges back to full then it just stopped working, total waste of money.

If I need something printing I'm going to the local post office, 20p a print once every decade sounds like a bargain to me:-D

21. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Just a little OT, but I have always wondered why people will raise hell about the price of gas, electricity, many things, but there is no outrage at how the printer companies are ripping off people with the inks. I can put Exxon, Shell, whatever gas I want in my car, it works.

You buy a certain printer, and they expect you to buy their inks only. The dang sensor can tell the printer it is empty when it is not, or tell the printer it is expired ink. WTF?

22. Rikky

23. Phantom

24. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

My HP will confirm that I installed a genuine HP cartridge, but like you said it will also say the cartridge is empty when it clearly isn't because I will print with it until the letters on the page are too pale to read.;)

Bottom line it is about that company's profits. Same thing with getting a window blind cut to size at the home improvement store. At the local Lowes you can only get the Levolor Blinds that you buy there cut to an size. Levolor furnishes Lowes with the window blind cutter and it detects a sensor in the blinds and won't cut off brands. They say it will shut off if they try. They do sell a cheaper brand of blinds which look to be very similar to the Levolor blind at half the price but they can't cut them. :(

25. Rikky

Keen? I'd rather shart broken glass.

I'd rather use an Ipad for each print and shred it when I'm bored of looking at it.

I'd rather take four ballpoint pens an make my own prints dot by dot at one page per year.

I'd rather drain my bodily fluids and use them to refill an artists paint pallet then describe to him my family's holidays so he can paint our holiday snaps.

I'd rather have a tattoo artist make copies of my bank statements on my back then have the skin grafted and filed away.

I'm not spending anymore money on printers, I'm done.:-D

26. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Geez, Rikky...don't hold back, tell us how you really feel! LOL

The ball point pens truly cracked me up. I've been sitting here for a couple of minutes giggling my fool head off. :-D

27. Rikky

And that was the one I meant to be funny. Epic win!:-D

28. Phantom

29. oma

oma MajorGeek

Rikky, here's some $$ bills to spend on ink. Or perhaps you will be able to print the bills yourself after you get some ink? JK :-D On a serious note, this was for real and the drugdealers were caught. :cool

Attached Files:

30. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

The drug they were dealing? Illegal black market printer ink. :-D

31. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

You're gonna need a bigger place for all that money you're saving!

Attached Files:

32. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Friend of ours bought a CIS (Continuous ink system) and it's much better but I think he still has trouble. You smashed it with a hammer... that's absolute CLASSIC, I would have paid to have seen that one. :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds