No punctuation, no Capital letters, no paragraphs

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbazza, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

My English teachers (a long time ago) would have had a stroke to see modern English as she is typed.

Lots of posts in Major Geeks with no punctuation, no Capital letters, no paragraphs. Guess that is how English is taught nowadays, or probably it is down to text messaging.

Bloody hard to read here, at MG, IMO.
    Any comments?
    Bazza

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Yep, it's bad. It's not how it's taught, it's how they are teaching themselves with the texting.

I can read the posts with no capital letters but I x out of the ones that have no punctuation. Too much effort to decypher.

The ones that I don't get, and I've seen 2 or 3 from different posters, are the ones that have the first letter of EVERY word capitalized! That takes effort. lol And makes no sense whatsoever.

Anyway, yep...I feel ya bazza.

3. ynot

ynot Private First Class

ijustdontunderstanditmyself:D

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No worse than sentence fragments.

5. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

I don't know where a lot of them go. :confused

6. Solange

Solange Sergeant Major

Being an English teacher for students with English as second language, I do NOT accept that way of writing. They can do that on their free time when they chat on msn or something, even I type like that in real time chat, but I don't accept it in essays or any other written assignments. It is important to be able to express yourself properly so that people take you seriously and don't think you are an idiot just because of your writing.

I prefer if people write properly. The capital letters are there to make reading and comprehension easier. A massive block of text that is not divided in paragraphs become a pain to the reader and I tend to give up after 3 lines of text, possibly missing something interesting, but I'll take that risk...

And don't get me started on "chat lingo", that is a sure way to make me think that even if the author has interesting things to say, it isn't worth my time to read it, because it takes about 3 times as long to read...

Over and out from the grumpy English Teacher! :major

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Vergesse Nicht!

We Germans Capitilize All Nouns.

Source: Das Kapital -- Karl Marx.

:D:D:D

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats the forum software doing that.

They had their caps on when they posted. The forum software changed it to just the first letter of every word.

9. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Wow, MG's even has a caplocks defender!:D

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

i wonder if its available as freeware do you think it is what is wrong with not having punctuation marks does it make any difference starting every sentence with a capitol letter is so lame it's probably only old fogies that need capitols, periods and question marks LOL

11. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

Totally agree with you Solange. Not only do I find it distracting while reading anything that shows a lazy hand, I even find myself mentally making corrections while reading the written words of some offenders. :D

So lazy writing pretty much defeats the author's intention if they are trying to impress or make an impact with their written statement.

12. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Bravo, Solange, bravo! Well said and I second the sentiment. :clap

13. N5638J

N5638J Guest

If i'm one of them people LauraR pay no mind to it. Just blame it on me being a redneck hillbilly. ;)

14. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

lol...seriously? Well, you learn something new everyday. It makes a lot more sense than someone taking the time to capitalize the first letter of each word though.

roflmao...does that surprise you???

15. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

No excuse. :D I'm dating a redneck hillbilly (hell, his nickname is Hillbilly) and he knows how to use punctuation and formatting. He's not so hot on spelling, but it could be worse. ;)

16. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

i DON NO WET U MEAN i KEN SPEEL REEL GOOD, AN TELK A TATOR OUTTA DA GRUND

17. HelpMeWithMyMac

HelpMeWithMyMac Private E-2

This is not a problem of English only, but of all the languages in the net. Informal kind of communication makes people type faster - that's why all punctuation disappears

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds