restoring to factory settings??

Discussion in 'Software' started by ddev909, Jun 28, 2008.

1. ddev909

ddev909 Private E-2

After numerous issues (Corrupt files, spyware etc) i am thinking of restoring my pc to factory settings/reinstalling xp. I have misplaced the recovery cd and dont know what to do next.

I tried DLing a torrent from a site ( i can provide the link if necessary) but im getting a CRC error during extracting.

Can some one provide me with step by step guidelines of how to restore/reinstall XP or link me to a torrent that best suits my needs(there are so many i'm not sure which one is the one i need.

Is it a simple process to get connected back to the internet and running programs (ie media players and poker programs again?? Can it be done in 5/6 hours by someone with not much tech savvy? (i'm not a total imbecile either)

I have no hidden partition. All my data has been backed up. I'm using a phillips machine,VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8601 . Any other info can be provided. Thanks in advance. Dan

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Dan

If you have lost your restore CD then contact the makers of the PC, which I see is Philips and ask for a replacement restore CD to be sent out, as at Majorgeeks we will not assist in posting of torrent links to operating systems or helping users in burning and installing these illegal downloads.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The recovery CD is always the better option than a generic XP because the restore CD loads all the proper drivers for your hardware and also the programs that might have been included when you purchased the computer.

Of course then you will have to install all the updates and it might take some time particularly if your computer only came with XP or XP SP1.

One you get everything updated and it seems to be working properly, you might want to look at software to make an image. That way, if you have a problem, you can restore a more up to date image than the one offered by the manufacturer's restore CD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds