Outlook and OE (newsgroup access) just a rant.

Discussion in 'Software' started by fiver22, Dec 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

I really wish that MS would incorporate OE's newsreader into Outlook. I can't understand why they don't -I actually consider OE is a very capable/usable NewsReader (so long as you aren't using it for file sharing/distrobution) and you would think that it's parent (Outlook) would also be able to handle newsgroups. Not to mention the fact that I access my hotmail account through OE ---I know: I can access Hotmail through Outlook -but my Hotmail account is used almost solely for newsgroup postings...so there is no point adding it to Outlook 2k3.
    So please MS: make Outlook able to read Newsgroups.
    Blah....end of rant.

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

MS has stopped development of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer. There will proobably never be an OE 7 or IE 7 (or even a 6.1), although they will continue to release security patches and so forth.

If all you use OE for is Newsreading, I'd get a different newsreader. Try something like Forte's Free Agent. That's a shareware/freeware newsreader that works pretty well.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Really??

Where did you find out about this????

I know they are changing the way things are handled in IE, per lawsuits, but stoping development altogether???

4. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

I know for a fact that OE dev has stopped. It did awhile ago. I'm sure I saw it on /. or NeoWin.

The IE thing has been floating around for some time. Really IE 6 does everything MS wants it to do for an OS integrated browser: displayes HTML help and windowsupdate. It's in their best interest to phase it into something like Konqueror or whatever Gnome has. I haven't heard anything definite like I have about OE, but the word on the street about it is pretty heavy. They won't need to worry about security once IE 6 is finalized, and they won't face litigation over a product that generates no income for them.

Honestly, it's stupid for them to develop IE 7. I'm convinced the only reason they fought the browser wars was to standardize the net. Which needed to happen in order for it to be commercially viable in the sense that it is now. IE's market share made it possble to standardize because security standards were just that. Internet is synonymous with man-in-the-middle attacks.

They won the browser wars, the Internet is now a necessity, per capita computer ownership increases, people buy Windows to use the web and email instead of just for solitare and word processing. MS wins.

Why do you think the slogan for Win98/ME was "Where do you want to go today" and not "Now your word processor is faster"?

5. Eddie1944

Eddie1944 Private E-2

It is interesting that almost 11 years later IE is into version 11 and Outlook Express soldiers on as Outlook.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Outlook and Outlook Express are not the same thing and never were. One did not evolve from the other.

IE was just a rumor.

Anyway, no need for an 11 year old rant to continue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds