What's a good cpu fan+heatsink !

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ep-bodom, Nov 21, 2004.

1. ep-bodom

ep-bodom Private E-2

Im getting a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939, I was wondering what a good Fan + Heatsink would be. Nothing fancy or expensive, I dont plan on overclocking.

2. 50cal

50cal Private First Class

100% copper is a good thing to look for and at lest 70mm fan on it i like a 80 -92 [i am crazy when it comes to fans]

i dont have a 64 my self but i will look and get you links in abit

3. 50cal

50cal Private First Class

looks like the one that comes with it is fine if your not OCing anything

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Aluminium is good at radiating heat, not so good at conducting it. Copper is great at conducting heat, but not so good at radiating it. However combining them means adding their heat capacties together, so requires more energy to heat up, and so takes less heat away from the CPU than if you had a single substance.

Of course there is the case that the energy you've taken away is radiated away faster because of the aluminium. Either way, current research shows consumer single substance heatsinks perform better than bimetallic ones.

Oh yes, and the heatsink that comes with the 64 is probably fine :)

5. AMD steve

AMD steve Private E-2

Hello,
    I hope this helps.
    I have just upgraded system to.
    AMD athlon 64 3400+
    Gigabyte K8NS pro MB
    X1 200 gig Maxtor internal HD
    X1 160 gig Maxtor internal HD
    X1 80 gig Maxtor internal HD
    X1 80 gig Maxtor external USB HD
    Antec Server case.
    430 w PSU
    X2 front fans
    X2 rear fans
    X1 HDD fan
    X1 exhaust
    DVD - RW
    DVD ROM
    With the standard heatsink mounted I was seeing temps 46-48 idle and 54-56 load.
    This was BIOS readings.
    Today I have replaced the PSU to 650w triple fan and fitted the Gigabyte 3D Rocket pro, and all I can say is "wow".
    My CPU temps have bottomed to 30 c idle and 36 c on full load ( really pushing it ).
    So the PSU may haved helped but I am more than impressed with the rocket pro, i really did not think it would reduce temps this much "I was wrong".
    The cooler fits most CPU's and comes with all fittings.
    Give it a try !
    Steve
    [​IMG]

6. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

Your link doesn't seem to be any good. What is the noise level you are having now? I am running a SLK900A heatsink with a Tornado 90mm fan and it is noisy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds