Converting Microsoft Word to Text

Discussion in 'Software' started by British TV Nut, Oct 26, 2005.

1. British TV Nut

British TV Nut Corporal

Greetings!

I was wondering if anyone has any information as to converting a Microsoft Word document into a Text file without opening any software like Open Office or Word. What I was looking for is something that's run from a command line so that it would be easy to run easily in a database program. The database program I use is Visual FoxPro 8.0 which is run in Windows XP.

If anyone has any input on this matter, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm going to do my own type of searching to see if I can find something resembling to what I need and works the way it's supposed to. <Yes it's for work, but hey it couldn't hurt to ask. :) >

Thanks!

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

If, you have Microsoft Word already installed, couldn't you create a macro (or vb script) to do this automaticallly within word?

3. British TV Nut

British TV Nut Corporal

Honestly I haven't delved into the vb script within Word, however, I'm not sure if the customer that I'm creating an application through Visual FoxPro has Word. I would think they would, but then I guess you could say that I want to make something to where it's fool proof to where anyone can run the program. <shrug>

Would creating an application through the vb script in Word could help? I know it would have to take for me to read up on it, but I don't mind learning something new. :)

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Okay, this is supposed to work on the client side, with all new .docs to .txt files?

You have all the .doc files and you need to convert to txt, instead of opening up each one?

The office is native with vbscripts.

Perhaps I'm confused on what you really need. I was thinking you wanted to convert a ton of docs to txt. Which is the main reason a macro could work.

5. British TV Nut

British TV Nut Corporal

I was hoping that I could make myself clear on the problem, but honestly I'm going to assume that whomever is going to be running the process doesn't have Microsoft Word. With that, I needed something to make the conversion easier since I know I have to pull apart the mailing address to manipulate it since that's how the input data is.

Thank you Kaula for your suggestion, and it seemed to work. I wasn't too pleased that it opened a window to do the conversion. I wanted something done silently so that I don't confuse someone who isn't too keen on computers.

I did do my own search, and I found a command line program called Antiword which seems to have helped a whole lot better. If anyone else has a suggestion, I would love to hear it. Otherwise, I do appreciate the feedback I've got on the problem I have.

Take care! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds