Need help choosing a new laptop.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jiroben, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Jiroben

Jiroben Private E-2

Good day, I'm planning on buying a new laptop and would like some of advice so I dont buy a laptop that I'm going to underuse or one that I can barely use, I'm planning on buying one from the lenovo brand since those are the ones I've used and like the most. I would also like to know if the prices are reasonable. Let me post what I need and want it to do.

Need:
    I use some video editing software, mostly trakAx, this one is not very heavy but I can not render in HD so I need something a bit more powerfull to use all the features and effects without problems.

I also like to edit or modify pictures and photography, I dont need something complicated or advanced, as long I it doesnt lag or consumes much power.

One of the most heavy programs I use is a physics simulator called endorphin, Im able to use it now but it does demand a lot of resources. So I need something that can run this radder smoothly.

I need something that can run Flash CS5 or CS6.

Want:
    This is a bit more simple, I mostly want something that can run HD video and at least games like portal and team fourtress 2. Also something that can run physics simulators and electronics simulators (for like doing circuits and such).

An HDMI outlet and bluray would be ok.

I also want one from lenovo due to the design of the keyboard and contruction. If it has a trackpoint mouse would be a plus.

I am mainly looking for one that looks like the thintpad series, my last one was a T30 so the more similar the better, but it doesnt have to be exactly the same.

Here are the ones I'm liking so far, any other suggestions?

Ideapad Y480 -209387U (Is the first recomended by the lenovo webpage)
    Ideapad Y480 -20934WU (just a bit different than the last one)
    Ideapad Z480 and Z570 (I like this ones, but not the keyboard, is there a similar model to this ones but with a keyboard thats like the T series?)
    Thintpad T430, T530 and W530(I want one that look like this ones but they might be more for business rather than entertainment, but what do you guys think?)
    Thintpad L430 (I'm still prefering the T series but this is my best next thing)

And just for curiosity, whats the most overkill laptop you guys know, one that you think would only exist in sci-fi?:p

Thanks in advance and have a good day.

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Whats your budget? HD Video rending and Physics simulation need some serious CPU power.

I would def suggest a quad core CPU with 8 GB ram at a min.

Also, Why do you need a laptop?

3. Jiroben

Jiroben Private E-2

Well I mostly need a new laptop because the one I used to use stoped working, the motherboard got damaged. I've been borrowing one for the time being but just to keep up with my mail.

Im also starting into animation and video editing as a hobby, the physics part are more due to collage, I dont need something really "powerfull", but just enough so I dont force a computer much; I used endorphin on a thinkpad T30, so it barely ran on it.

My budget would be about 1200 dolars top.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds