deleted a process now pc wont boot past the boot screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by MzDonna, Aug 17, 2007.

1. MzDonna

MzDonna Private E-2

Well my son did it, he decided that the pc was running too many processes and decided to delete some .. well he deleted one and didnt know which one it was ,. the pc said it had to shut down, now all he can do is boot as far as the boot screen and no further . is there any help or do we need to do a full reformat to fix this . or better yet can it be fixed at all ?

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

while your computer boot,hit repeatedly F8 button.When the screen of choices comes up select "last known good configuration" and hit enter 2 times.
    Post what you've done.

3. pacpis

pacpis Private E-2

If the previous tip from Goran.P doesn't make a change, try to boot with ur Windowd CD and repair the installation

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

For those that dont know it would also be beneficial to add how to do this, when suggesting a troubleshooting option?

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No, dont even suggest this. Removing a process is registry related and not one damn thing in a repair install will bring it back. Same for starting/stopping/disabling services.

pacpis, once again, I implore you to read this.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/announcement.php?f=22

We enjoy your company on this forum, but your advice is not up to par. Please research your answers if you are unsure of them, or patiently wait for someone else to answer the thread for insight.

This is the second time I’ve warned you. There will not be a third.

6. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

So,Adry you say that only reinstalling the Windows is the answer?

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not at all. Im saying a repair is the worst answer :)

LKG is the first thing I'd try too. Just waiting to hear back before I suggest anything else.

8. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

And lkg stand's for?

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Last Known Good ;)

10. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

You trick me.HAHAHAHAHA:D

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Nah, just used to use the term so much, that we (people I worked with) started calling it LKG ;) Been using it ever since.

12. pacpis

pacpis Private E-2

Sorry for that Adrynalyne, but i haven't get that anywhere cause i tried it myself, i also have a process deleted but i did copied the same file in another pc and paste it in command prompt in Safe mode, unfortunely MzDonna don't know exactly the process that were deleted. I was just trying to give my point of view, so sorry if i made disorder :eek:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Deleting files is one thing, processes are registry entries, that call upon certain dlls for their functions.

Very different.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds