Compaq Presario SR 5120AN

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ejb1101, Apr 29, 2012.

1. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

Hi need help please.

Compaq Presario SR 5120AN was working fine :)
    When I boot it takes me to Disk boot Failure,insert system disk
    If I try to reload XP it takes me to a blue screen

Trouble is being female lol I have played with everythingand am now totally lost.
    I cant get windows to open or internet just the above 2 screens

I am not worried about saving anything on the drive just want it to work or at least some help working out how to go about it please :)

Thanks

2. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

WHen I try to install win XP I get blue screen saying
    The problem seems to be caused by the following file: setupdd.sys
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP: 0x00000050 (0XB09EE728,0x00000000,0F74DB9A8,0x00000000)
    setupdd.sys-address F74DB9A8 base at F74B4000, Datestamp 41107c8f

3. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Quick Question did you do a Quick Format or a Full Format

If you have done a Quick Format then it will leave files be hind

I would redo a Full format it will wipe every thing

This is your Stop Error Code
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329293

4. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

Hi and thank you for the reply
    I tried to put the XP disc in when it had disk failure message and am yet to get very far with the winXp dic
    Sorry am not thta tech savvy

5. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

Holding F8 does nothing
    F10 take me to the bios setup or if left will go to windows set up
    windows Xp home edition
    to setup now press enter
    to repair press R (this does nothing
    to quit setup without installing press F3

This then states to press F8 to agree
    once that is pressed

blue screen states
    There is no disk in this drive.^

enter= install D=delete F3 to quit

enter takes me to the blue screens with page fault

I am not sure what XP was on it but I am trying to put XP home edition sp2 on

If I start pc with out that XP disc in cd drive

Get black screen

with processor info AMD sempron (tm)

ide master 0
    ide slave 0
    then option to enter bios setup F10 or continues to black screen
    Disk Boot failure, insert systen disk and press enter

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This tells you it does not see a hard drive.

First step would be to open the case and replace the gray ribbon cable. Maybe the cable is bad; it happens.

If you get the same disk boot failure measure with a new cable then perhaps the hard drive has died and needs to be replaced.

7. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

Is odd if I put my win7 disc in a get to where it is asking for drivers.
    Would the cable still be the problem

8. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

Is odd if I put my win7 disc in a get to where it is Collecting Information and asking for drivers.
    I am pretty sure I cant run win7 on this system.

Would the cable still be the problem

9. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

It looks like that computer came with a SATA HD which would need drivers before XP could be installed. (That is if the HD is working OK and the Disk Error is not being caused by a bad HD.)

Do you know if the recovery partition has been deleted or if it is still an option? Try hitting F11, repeatedly, during the Compaq screen and see if it takes you to recovery options.

If it doesn't, then go into BIOS (F10) and see if it lists your HD. You are looking for the 80gb drive (if it is the original HD). Is it recognized?

10. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

F10 on Main area only shows dvd drive under drive section
    installed memory
    512MB/PC2-5300
    memory bank3 512MB DDR2 SDRAM
    that is it on that page
    Advanced gives
    processor info
    onboard video 64MB
    Boot
    shows CDROM group apriority
    hard drive group boot priority (bootable add in)
    I tried to find drivers but on another pc as the HP I cant get on the net

11. sach2

When installing XP on a SATA drive you can slipstream SATA drivers into a new XP installation disc. Those SATA drivers are available at HP's site. But there is also usually a way to change BIOS to have the SATA HD use IDE emulation to allow it to be recognized without the drivers.

The thing is the drive should be seen by BIOS without any drivers. It doesn't look like it is being seen which would point to a bad HD. I can't seem to find the BIOS screens for that model on the net. What are the choices of menus in BIOS across the top of the screen? Does it look like one of the pictures http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07110&lc=en&cc=uk&dlc=en

12. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

yes
    Core version V6.0
    BIOS Revision 5.11
    Model SR5120An
    Product GF950AA-ABG
    BuildID 73APv3PrA2

thank you too for your help so far it is much appreciated

13. sach2

So it only shows the 1st drive being the DVD drive under the Main menu and no 2nd drive which would be the HD.

It seems the HD is not being recognized at all. That would most likely be a bad HD as an 80gb drive would be more than 5 years old which is about their lifespan. I think the only thing to do would be to open the case and check the cable. If the HD isn't recognized by BIOS you can't even run a diagnostic because no program will see the HD if BIOS can't.

The HD will have a power cable and a data cable. If the HD and DVD both use the same type of data cable (going from the motherboard to the device) you could swap out the cable from the DVD to see if that makes a difference as far as the HD being recognized. Just leave the one end connected to the motherboard and switch the ends going into the HD or DVD.

If the two devices use different types of cable then that obviously isn't an option. So if the DVD is the wide IDE cable then you can't switch cables.

[​IMG]

BTW, did this just start out of nowhere or were there any warnings before you got the "No System Disc" error? Has it happened before--once in a while?

14. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

It started when it was moved for replacemtn desk but I havent helped it buy going places that I should not gone lol

15. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

I have no ribbon cable

16. sach2

You can just swap the two flat red cables and see if there is any difference. Leave the ones with the small red, black and yellow wires where they are (the ones on the left--they are power cables and are fine). This picture is probably two HD on top of each other your DVDROM may be in a slightly different location but you are just swapping the flat red cables between HD and DVDROM.

[​IMG]

Another thing you can try is to unplug the computer and remove the small, flat, coin-shaped CMOS battery. Leave it unplugged overnight. Put the battery back, plug in and try to boot without the CD. See if it tries to detect the HD. Sometimes letting a failing HD cool down completely will allow it to be recognized. If it is recognized then you know it is failing and has to be replaced.

[​IMG]

Edit: So did it happen occasionally before or start after being unplugged and moved and not started properly since? It could be a bad battery causing problems. You could try unplugging and removing the battery for a minute or two then putting back and try starting without the CD (skipping the overnight wait) to see if that does anything. If it does find the HD that fast then it could just be a bad battery but I find that unlikey as there would be no reason for it to choose to miss the HD. But it only takes a minute or two to test.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  17. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

I set the defaults in BIOS back to set up original defaults and now have the Compaq screen back lol

18. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

If you were in Aus I would kiss you about now :)
    ok when about to swap gabless realised the main cable on HD was lose
    So now I have a HD lol
    Shows in Main of BIOS
    4th drive ST380815AS I assume this is it as that was not there before
    under boot in BIOS
    I know have hard drive group (ATAPI DVD A DH1)
    tried to restart
    got a XP screen then nothing :)
    I feel we are (you) are getting closer to solving this

19. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

do I have to reload XP now that I set the defaullts back
    If so will it cope with win& or am I better to stick with XP

20. sach2

Good. So the HD is recognized and it tries to start XP. Now try hitting F8 repeatedly during the Compaq screen. If it gets to Safe Mode options try Last Know Good Configuration and see it that gets you further. If it still hangs on the XP screen (does it hang on the XP screen or go black?) then try going back to F8 and choosing Safe Mode to see if you can get into that.

Edit: Chances are that your XP drive is in the same condition it was in before you had the problem. The files are probably OK since you were unable to begin a fresh install. See if XP can load and then you can figure out if you want to reload or keep things as they were.

I know 512mb RAM is too small for Win7. You would have to add RAM to even consider win7. Not sure about your processor or video but they may be marginal as well. If you get XP running you could use the Win7 upgrade advisor to see what it says.

21. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

I have partions too lol did not have that before

22. sach2

I'm guessing you are seeing partitions using one of your installation discs.

I would see if you can resurrect your old XP before as in my last post before going into a reinstall. (You will have to find drivers for XP for that model since it came with Vista which will be easier if you get your old XP running.) See if you can use Last Know Good Configuration (first) and if not Safe Mode using F8 during the Compaq screen.

23. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

F8 does nothing tells me on screen F11 for recovery but I read somewhere because this came out with Vist the recovery is not an option but when I have the XP disc in it asks what windows I want to recover but only lets me put 1 letter in so am not getting to far with that

24. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

I now have safe mode through the cd somehow lol
    I have windows up where to from here

25. sach2

The one letter is the number of the installation. You probably only have one so it would be 1.

The timing of F8 can be tricky. It should be at the very end of the Compaq screen but before the XP logo. I would try again starting towards the end of the Compaq screen but while it is still showing. You can hit it repeatedly.

As far as F11 it depends if you deleted the recovery partition when you installed XP. You could check by hitting F11 and see what it says (It would generally wipe the HD and install Vista if it can do anything at all).

I'll check back tomorrow to see how things go. If you are set on reinstalling XP and have any problems, I'll help troubleshoot.

26. sach2

Are you in Safe Mode (with Safe Mode written in all four corners?)

I'd see if you have any recent restore points and go back a few days to see if you can start without the CD. Start>All Programs>Accesories>System Tools>System Restore. See if you have any restore points from a week ago or so available. If so go ahead and restore to that point to make sure your startup files are working.

27. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

tried to restore nothing
    so ended up at Compaq diagnostic area hard drive optical and dvd drive all passed tests
    Trying to load XP again
    have ade partitions and get to setup and it seems to freezeat 11%

28. sach2

Was the 11% freeze at copying files?

You could try the Win7 installation just to see if it completes. That would tell you the HD is good (which it probably is). Win7 won't run well with that little RAM but you could see how the graphics look. Then decide if you want to upgrade RAM.

29. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

yes came up with NTLDR error so eventually went to You Tube and all fixed and running well other than internet lol I can not get it to work
    Thank you very much for your help much appreciated

30. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

HELP
    Its still not right
    When I do a Error end scan shows 366 errors

31. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

I seem to have no drivers now
    I still have files thta are from old XP I think
    OM have made a mess
    As it stands now XP is opening but I cant get on the internet as gatway not found

32. sach2

I'm not certain about the "no gateway found" error but am wondering if you have installed your LAN (ethernet) driver?

You can check Device Manager to look for any yellow question marks/warnings about missing drivers.

You may need chipset drivers here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_8.26_11.09.html if you have a yellow mark by Network Adapter.

33. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

Trouble is I cant get on the net to do anything with it
    I think the old files are still on hard drive

34. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

I did manage to run a ErrorEnd scan on it and have many errors found but can not access net to fix
    There are 3 with red HIGH next to them
    ActiveX/COM Objects
    the file referenced doesn't exist
    Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID/(6BCD09693-OCE6-11D1-BBAAE-00C04FC2E20D)
    AppID=(A5CEB593-CCC3-486B-AB91-9C5C5ED4C9E1)

Program Paths
    the file referenced doesn't exist
    Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/App Paths
    cmmgr32.exe=C:/WINDOWS/system32/cmmgr.32

there is a lot missing

35. sach2

You could download that driver file on the computer you are on now and put it on USB flash drive and transfer it over and run it.

What type of scan was this--how did you run it?

36. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

I put it on usb and then transfered it to Compaq
    As to what type of scan I am not sure is called ErrorEnd seems to check everything on PC
    Is it ok to run that download in the language you gave as I can not find Australia there?

37. sach2

If ErrorEnd is a program to fix registry errors then don't bother with it. Most such programs are designed to come up with meaningless errors. They don't fix anything.

Go ahead and run the file. The default language will be English. You won't have any interaction with it after installation so it isn't a big deal between Aussie English and English.

38. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

yes thought thta may be the case like those virus programs they try to suck yopu into :)

39. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

40. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

The page you tried was not found. You may have used an outdated link or may have typed the address (URL) incorrectly. You might find what you're looking for in one of these areas:
    •The Home Page
    •The Drivers Home Page
    •The Products Home Page
    •The Company Info Home Page
    •The News & Events Home Page
    •The Support Home Page
    •NVIDIA Store
    •NVIDIA Gear Store
    (Official NVIDIA-branded apparel, gifts and gadgets)
    •NVIDIA RSS
    •We've recently updated our CUDA Zone pages. If you were looking for a CUDA-related page, go to: www.nvidia.com/cuda

41. sach2

42. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

You are a legend installed and have Internet thank you

Is there anything else I should check?

43. sach2

Go ahead and check in Device Manager for any yellow marks to see if you are missing anything else. Go to Start->Run. Type devmgmt.msc and hit “OK”. Look for yellow marks to see if any other drivers are missing.

44. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

only thing yellow is other devices
    PCI device
    the drivers for this device are not installed code 28
    Video controller
    the drivers for this device are not installed code 28

It is running extremely slow to what it was

45. ejb1101

ejb1101 Private E-2

I am having trouble getting flash for the XP also is there anything else you think I should do before giving it back to my mother in law with hopes of never having it back again ?

46. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds