Why do I have an Insufficient Memory Warning?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Meanfire, May 30, 2005.

1. Meanfire

Meanfire Private E-2

This seems like a newbie question, but it goes beyond what simple information I can find on the internet when I research the topic "memory".

Here's my setup:

CPU: Athlon XP 2400+
    Mobo: Shuttle AN-35N
    RAM: 768 MB PC3200
    Graphics Card: GeForce MX440 128 MB

I think that's all that's relevant.

My computer became nonresponsive when I was trying to use the 'Back" button on my browser (Avant 10.0 Build 165). It gave me an insufficient memory warning when I tried to launch Macromedia Fireworks MX 2004. I'm running Cacheman 5.50 and have it sitting in the systray, set to show the available RAM. What I didn't understand was that I had at least 300 MB of free RAM when these problems occurred, according to Cacheman. I closed some minor apps in the systray that were running in the background (Eraser, Proxyswitcher Lite, WinPatrol, Spyguard, MRU Blaster). I had two web browsers running (Avant and Maxthon) with a lot of open web pages/tabs, as well as Snapfolders (a Windows Explorer interface), Winamp 5.09, and Wordpad.

Would anybody know if I was low on RAM, or possibly on graphics memory? And can anybody tell me how to test or monitor this? I don't want to buy a new graphics card or RAM unless I know that is what I need. Buying hardware that I don't absolutely need is something I want to avoid on my very limited budget.

Thanks for your time.

2. lukera

lukera Private E-2

do you have pagefiling enabled? i have 1.5 gigs of memory and i would get the out of memory error when playing CS: S.

START ->Conrol Panel ->System ->Advanced ->Performance Settings ->Advanced

look in there....i would let windows manage PF if it isn't already

3. Meanfire

Meanfire Private E-2

I let Cacheman manage the Paging File size and usage. However, I should move the paging file location from my master HD where nearly all of my apps are to my slave drive, which is mainly for data to get better performance.

4. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

I have used cacheman and other RAM managers and dont think it is usefull.
    Uninstall cacheman and see if the problem persist.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

It may not be a RAM problem, but a "low resources" problem. I'm using W98SE at present, so the path below may not be the same in XP.

This may help, cannot hurt, anyhow.

Try Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->System tools-->Resource Meter. Click on that and a little box should appear down by your clock. Keep an eye on it, if it goes to RED or Yellow you are low on resources. I apologise if the path is incorrect for XP as I cannot check it out on my XP Pro at present. Maybe go into help and type in Resource Meter if the above is incorrect. Bazza

PS: I keep Resource Meter running permanently on my laptop. Set it going in your Startup programs and keep an eye on it. It tells you what programs are resource hogs. Latest one to fall into this category, on my PC, is the BETA version of Yahoo messenger. The Resource Meter display quickly pinpoints the problem, for me. Baz

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds