Computer from the trash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JAMESpARNELL, Oct 14, 2004.

1. JAMESpARNELL

JAMESpARNELL Private E-2

My old man came home the other day with a computer that he saw sitting in a neighbors trash... What do you think is worth salvaging from a garbage computer?

HDD?
    PSU?
    Floppy?
    CD-ROM?
    RAM? (how can I tell how much memory this stick is by just looking at it?)
    I don't know... heatsink?

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

If the HDD is less than 20GB, I say junk it.
    Power supply less than 300W? Junk it.
    Floppy drive is a floppy drive. Keep it.
    CD-ROM is a CD-ROM, unless it is a writer, but if less than 8x, junk it.
    What the processor?
    Model of Motherboard?
    The above may help determine what kind of RAM it is if we cannot find that out other wise, we can assume what it is by what the Motherboard is capable of.
    Are there any numbers on the RAM sticks? Perhaps post a picture.

3. IceLion

IceLion Private E-2

Hook it up and see what it has. If your house is networked though, don't connect it to your network in case it has a virus. Just set it up and check it out.

-Lion

4. JAMESpARNELL

JAMESpARNELL Private E-2

The hdd is a western digital wd caviar24300 (4.3 gig) and when i googled the first page I looked at goes for about $169.

The psu is 250w but I just bought a psu that is only 90w (considerably smaller, though... for a mini-itx.).

cd-rom is 32x.

CPU is 75mhz and I can't find where the mobo model is...

the ram says powmem, siemens, hyb39s16800at-8, j35050...

I'd hook the computer up but I already stripped it down.

5. JAMESpARNELL

JAMESpARNELL Private E-2

I think the RAM is 16M, haha...

6. JAMESpARNELL

JAMESpARNELL Private E-2

Could things like the jumpers be of any use in the future you think? I've only begun to start building computers, I'm not sure what I may run across, in the days to come...

7. nicetime

nicetime Private E-2

that 4.3 gb drive is not even woth 10 bucks, you can buy a 120 gig drive for around 100$

Keep the CD ROM those are always handy if need be

250w power supply is decent

the memory and CPU are most likely junk basing it on the other dated hardware...

8. The1God

The1God Private First Class

Ebay it and see if you can get some beer money.

9. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

You probably saw the 4.3GB drive for $169 because lots of ppl buy the older hard drives to x-fer the electronics to their own to save data. I tried it myself with a 13GB and they wanted $250 for it because they knew what I was going to use it for.
    Hard drive robbery. LoL.

10. JAMESpARNELL

JAMESpARNELL Private E-2

Well I've decided to keep the HDD, floppy, CD-ROM, PSU, heatsink, and some cables...

I've never seen a PSU like this before... It has the power button connected directly to it and when the button is pushed in it stays in and when you push it again it pops out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds