Help with write protection

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alex30, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Alex30

Alex30 Private First Class

Hi,
    I use an external hard drive to make disk images and wanted to remove some files that were part of the disk image but got the message that they couldn't be deleted as they were write protected. Other similar files on the disk that were not part of the image could be deleted.
    There is no switch on the disk at all so it's not just a matter of flicking that.
    I use Windows XP. Any help would be great.
    Regards Alex

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

What sort of image are we talking about, an Acronis or Ghost image, or something else?

3. Alex30

Hi,
    It's a full disk image made using Macrium Reflect. I am not familiar with Acronis but assume the two programmes are very similar

Cheers Alex

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

5. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I'm not familiar with Macrium other than to confirm that it has a similar purpose to Acronis. In Acronis you cannot delete files which form part of a disk image. If you try to do so it creates what is called an incremental image, which is a separate file that modifies the content of the original image during restoration. It does not modify the original image file on disk. It's likely Macrium will have something comparable.

Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to do?

6. Alex30

Hi, I tried taking ownership but Windows reported it couldn't find the file path. I was in safe mode at the time. As suggested it's probably not possible. Thanks for the advice.
    Regards Alex.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds