Any Network Techie's Out There?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DJThorney, Nov 22, 2005.

1. DJThorney

DJThorney Private E-2

Here's the situation i have a pc connected to a home network as a client with 1 other computer as the host, i have a toshiba laptop that i would like to directly connect to my pc the client, i have installed 2 network card's both of them are Compaq something... Thing is i dont know how to set the comp's so that i can have full interaction i.e file sharing between the 2 also what type of cable do i have to use because i remember hearing or possibly reading an article a long time ago on the internet that it has to be a P45 or a crossover cable, Someone help me please!!!!

Many Thank's

P.S.. also being that the 2 network card's are i the same will this cause any undesired result's?

2. DJThorney

DJThorney Private E-2

:rolleyes: nobody want's to help me then, lol

3. chasezcw

chasezcw Private E-2

just found this, and yes you need a crossover cable and then setup your workgroup, just name all your computers as the same workgroup (ie the same name), as long as the computers have different names ( compaq1, compaq2, laptop1) you should be set, windows will take care of the rest, if you have any major problems just grab a switch somewhere and use normal network cables (not crossovers), once you have the workgroup made and can see all the computers all you need to do is share folders that you want access to. once shared they'll appear on the network everywhere else. same as a printers just share them and install on other clients. This will be a simple procedure if your running xp on all the machines if not you may need more help. just to let you know. or you can look for networking guides on microsoft.com for your versions.

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Also he needs to set up ICS if he does not have a Router. At the price of router's nowdays, I would go and pick up a 4-port Router which would allow all computers to share the network connection.

5. chasezcw

chasezcw Private E-2

right, routers are cheap, if your a dsl or cable user a router will save you major pains in setting things up with crossover cables, getting a wireless 4 port router and wireless card for laptop would also be something to consider, of course then you'll never want to sit down at the compaqs when you don't have to leave couch.

6. DJThorney

DJThorney Private E-2

i'm using a network hub at the moment, so surely that would be better than having a router anyway am i right or am i wrong, and i may have slacked a bit on the detail in my first post so here goes...

the host computer is in my bro's bedroom it's directly connected to the internet (broadband),the host is connected to the hub, the second computer, my pc is downstairs it is linked to the hub and i am able to access the internet on it file and printer sharing is disabled on the host, i have a toshiba portege 7020ct laptop (yes almost obsolete some might think) that has 2 pcmcia network card slot's, i have a pcmcia ethernet adaptor. i also have a toshiba docking station that has a built in ethernet adapter thus meaning when the laptop is undocked i have 1 ethernet adaptor when it is docked i have 2, my pc i have installed 2 compaq ethernet adaptor's 1 is in use for the connection to the host and the other i would like to utilize for a direct connection over the ethernet adaptor's between my laptop and my pc... this would be very handy for me because my docking station has all my external peripherals plugged into and when i dont need to use them i can simpy undock my lappy, the main benefit from my docky is the external monitor, mouse, keyboard it's just a little something i was trying to acheive so i would be able to have 2 monitor's, 1 laptop, 2 mouse & 2 keyboard's and a laser printer all setup and ready to use in perhaps "an instant".

7. DJThorney

DJThorney Private E-2

I see your point about goin wireless but i just cant afford it at mo, im only 17 and have'nt got a job yet, god damn it! lol

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

The problem with a hub, not switch is that you end up with network collisions. With Friday's specials after Thanksgiving, you could pick up a WiFi Router really cheap.

9. chasezcw

chasezcw Private E-2

christmas is coming up..... also try to beg for cash in meantime....

just kidding if your gonna do a crossover look into setting up internet connection sharing based on your operating systems, there should be some documentation on microsoft for doing so.

10. DJThorney

DJThorney Private E-2

im in the uk, prices are a little bit higher over here of course there's ebay but still postage would be slap & bang $20 probaly.

11. chasezcw

chasezcw Private E-2

old brown here helping may be able to help walk you through setting this up, my heads fuzzy on crossovered internet connection sharing setup, id have to go to msoft for help too.

12. chasezcw

chasezcw Private E-2

use newegg on friday they should have cheapest prices on internet one would think, im heading there that day to stock up

13. DJThorney

DJThorney Private E-2

i'll give the msoft site a go, if that does'nt work look's like i'll be begging in the mean time lol nah i'll have to wait until the new year thank's for the help and if i get this up & running i'll let you know any other helpful post's keep em coming.

14. DJThorney

DJThorney Private E-2

Gone Wireless

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds