IE8 slow loading pages and goes white

Discussion in 'Software' started by mdietz39, Jan 25, 2010.

1. mdietz39

mdietz39 Private First Class

I am running XP Pro, sp3. After years of being told my MS to upgrade from IE6 to IE7 and then to IE8 I finally did so when two of my forums said they no longer worked with IE6.

IE8 downloaded and installed with no problems. I can use IE8 (obviously or I would not be typing this online now). However I seem to be having two problems with it. First is about 90% of the web pages I regularly go to are taking a lot longer to load, from 5-10 seconds to up to a minute. Also once in a while when I try to go to a subpage I get a white screen with only a simple banner line at the top listing the web page address. That can take up to five minutes to refresh if it ever does.

I have disabled all accelerators and add-ons with no luck.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I am almost to the point of trying FireFox.

Thank you
    Mike

2. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

I'm not sure how to fix your problem with IE, but I would recommend trying Firefox, it's an amazing web browser and much quicker than IE in my experience.

However, if you do download Firefox, one essential add-on that I recommend over every other singe add-on is Adblock Plus, it speeds up page loading significantly.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I second this.

Firefox is nothing to be afraid of. It might, and I shall just repeat the might be a little more secure than IE, but most web security is down to the user.

Anyhoo, Firefox is faster than any version of IE, there is an amazing community of addons available to make your web browsing experience easier and more comfortable, and it complies to better web standards than IE.

Note: I am not an employee or affiliated to Mozilla INC or any of it's parents or affiliates. I am just a happy user.

4. mdietz39

mdietz39 Private First Class

Thank you both. I have downloaded and installed it. So far (of course this has been a very short trial) it works as well as the old IE6.

Thank you again
    Mike

5. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

But I believe you need IE for MS updates. Correct?
    Under your tools, do you have smart screen filter turned on. If yes, turn off.
    When I install IE8, I always choose the custom install and decline and say no to ALL options and offers.
    Doing this , I have had zero problems on all the machines I've put it on and have seen quite a few problems on machines where this has not been done.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Also to follow on from brandys post above if you had any toolbars installed or add-ons in IE, then uninstall them over disabling, then look for updates to them or dont use any.

Also update Adobe Flash and Sun Java (Suns java is now a rollup version unlike the older ones in which you needed to uninstall any previous version manually, however do check Add/remove for multiple older versions after install just in case, if you find any use this JavaRa to remove)

Yeah Firefox is good, but also remember to periodically look for updates to it, so you have latest security updates.

7. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Good point on toolbars and any other garbage including "site advisors", although I do know some people who like a site advisor. I'd rather be my own adviser, thank you. If you uninstall IE8, your browser will automatically back to what it first was. Then reinstall IE8 and remember to custom install and decline EVERYTHING you are offered.
    As I said, zero problems with this approach. There is no reason anybody can't use IE8. And though I know that in speed tests it is always rated last, I suspect those tests are done on full garbage installed versions, (no I'm not a water carrier for MS, just giving the results of my experiences).:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds