Sp2 Failure... please help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by voltaic, Dec 19, 2006.

1. voltaic

voltaic Private E-2

i recently did a full system reboot and started afresh and had no problems. however i recently decided to get SP2 to get new programs such as Media Player 11 and IE7 but on the 3 times i've tried to install SP2 it gets to "finishing installation" and the says: "windows minimum memory too low" and after a little while it blue screens and says the installation was interrupted.

any help on this would be much appreciated.
    thanks

Tom

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Could you post your system spec's?

3. voltaic

voltaic Private E-2

sorry for sounding ignorant... how do i find them out?

4. TimW

Right click my computer ...it will tell what processor and ram you have ...and whether you are running xp pro or home.

5. voltaic

voltaic Private E-2

yeah it's XP Pro, should have said.
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    256MB of RAM

6. TimW

Did you catch the blue screen error (code and file)?
    Right click my computer/ properties/advanced/performance and look at the size of the paging file ....it should be 1 1/2 times the size of your ram.

Is this an sp/2 update from microsoft?

7. voltaic

voltaic Private E-2

no i didnt catch the code.
    the paging file size is 384MB... can i change that?
    Yeah it's from microsoft, but i also tried a full download from a third party and it did the same.

8. TimW

You can change it ..though you shouldn't have to ...one of mine runs 256 with sp/2 ....

Do you have any problems with other programs or any other errors ...?

9. voltaic

voltaic Private E-2

no, no other errors... i sometimes run memory hungry programs that slow my pc down but none of them were running when i tried installing sp2.
    i recently found out my version of windows wasnt genuine so i used a program called PID Changer... i wondered if that had anything to do with these problems?

10. TimW

PID changer?

Got it ...a crack for windows ....sorry ...help ends with the suggestion that you get a genuine version.:)

11. voltaic

voltaic Private E-2

right, well thanks for your help. much appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds