iTunes won't open (itunes helperresource problem)

Discussion in 'Software' started by modernage13, Feb 6, 2008.

1. modernage13

modernage13 Private E-2

hello,

i need some urgent help. so yesterday i decided to move all my music from my external hard drive back to my laptop. i did so than deleted all the itunes stuff off of my external but it wouldnt delete. now whenever i try to open itunes it says " iTunesHelper.Resources is not a valid short file name" and than says fatal error. i cant uninstall or reinstall it! please help!

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Have you tried a rescan of music on your laptop?

Have you tried to disconnect the external drive, then reconnect it, then try to delete the files, WHILE itunes is not running?

3. modernage13

modernage13 Private E-2

well i just deleted the itunes files from the external now, it worked this time. but when trying to open itunes, it still shows the same error and won't open.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Have you tried going to add/remove programs and doing a repair?

Or perhaps an uninstall and reinstall of itunes?

5. modernage13

modernage13 Private E-2

i tried but the same error pops up as i try to.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Tried what?

Uninstall? Reinstall?

Repair?

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

What OS is this, xp, vista, etc?

8. modernage13

modernage13 Private E-2

i'm using xp and i tried reinstalling, repairing and that to no avail. BUT i checked the itunes folder in my programs and the only folder in there was plugins, so i moved all the itunes files there, and clicked the itunes icon there and itunes opened but than a message popped up saying that the CD configuration folder was missing and without it i cant import cds!

9. modernage13

modernage13 Private E-2

anyone can help me??

10. modernage13

modernage13 Private E-2

im dying here!

11. modernage13

modernage13 Private E-2

please someone help me, theres gotta be someone out there that can

12. Jim705

Jim705 Private E-2

I was getting the same message. I caused the problemm by trying to copy/paste iTunes from one hard drive to another.

I found "iTunesHelper.Resources, etc" in the registry. It had an older letter designation than where I put iTunes.

I think there would be two ways to fix:

1-Edit the registry, which I didn't do because there were many entries, and I probably would have needed to charge them all.

2-I just changed the letter name for the new hard drive to match the hard file designation in the registry. I did have to change the name of other hard drives and DVD's, until the drive letter was available for use. Works fine now and the problem/fix is logical.

The proceedure for chaging drive letters (not drive names) can be found by googling "Vista change drive letters". Jim

13. gqsmuv

gqsmuv Private E-2

sorry this wont help much, but i'm sure you did not do the proper removal of itunes, so thus some files are not permanently deleted...you have to edit the register where some itune files are still there...i can't tell you which ones pertain to itunes...but after you do that, reboot, do a install again and you should be fine...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds