The Olympics

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by brandypeppy, Feb 19, 2010.

1. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I assume you're not all geeky enough that you haven't enjoyed the Olympics,;).

I really liked the women's downhill speed race. Did you see those 3 wipeouts Wed. nite??

Holy face in the snow, Batman!! I couldn't believe anybody could walk away from a collision with mother earth at 70+ MPH!! Those gals must be made of steel.

I was rootin' for Lindsey Vonn, up to the point of her waterworks that is. It was a bit over the top with her incessant tears of celebration. And she said that she worked so hard for this, (I think they all did), but what got me was when she said "I gave up everything for this".:confused:confused:confused

What, did this celeb 26 year old, with a relatively privileged childhood, sell her soul to Lucifer to win? Most people don't have a fraction of what she grew up with and has even now.

So much for the little rant. I was still happy to see her win, although she wiped last nite in the slalom, that's okay, spread the medals around.

Awesome athletes, everyone of them. And the snowboarder Shaun White literally makes all the others look like beginners!!

Well, one more night and this one's history.:wave

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

i've only been watching hockey on cnbc. bunch of crap, it's not in HD.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

LOL, you should have watched it in the '60's with a B&W TV!;) At least Canada squeaked by the Swiss as the old heart was a thumpin!:eek:-D

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

I was hoping that cbc would have the olympics this year. I live near detroit, and we get cbc here. But, no, it's on ctv/tsn. So I'm stuck watching it on cnbc. I hope NBC shows some of the games, not just the final weekend.

oh, i've watched my fair share of old hockey. Not live, but i like watching old games. but this day and age, all sports should be broadcast in HD.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Did watch the Snowboard Cross and see Seth Wescott win gold, I snowboard or used to, was a skateboarder in my younger days so took to snowboarding really easy over skiing! (me not do that, legs split), watched a bit of the Curling a I for some reason love that sport! but the Olympics are not UK TV friendly being on live at silly o'clock in the morning!

6. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

watched a bit of the Curling a I for some reason love that sport
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Halo,

Then you must REALLY enjoy watching grass grow!! ;):-D:-D:-D

7. augiedoggie

Ya, the CBC has always done a good job and CTV is doing a decent job. I've never understood NBC's paradigm of Olympic coverage.:confused They pay tons of bucks for the privilege but they tape delay almost everything into the primetime slot whereas we get a whole days worth until we're bleary eyed to death! Our live coverage starts at noon EST and ends about 2AM this time around.

I just took a look at what NBC has to offer ATM, Today Show crap, Martha Stewart, Days of our Lives and Oprah! At least they're starting coverage at 4PM today. Besides, WTF is CNBC doing by showing hockey on there? :confused I find NBC does the Olympics a disservice.

8. DavidGP

No its a tactically great sport, alot of thought has to go into the "chucking" of the stone, and angles weight, power all come into play.

Now Football, Cricket and Snooker are like watching grass grow to me! ;)

9. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Same here, a big disappointment, NBC got it all and did a crappy job as far as I'm concerned.

10. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I love the winter Olympics. I watched the Women's downhill a few nights ago too...some nasty wipeouts!

My favorite is the snowboard halfpipe and then the Snowboard cross. I love that stuff. Shaun White is crazy good. I sort of felt bad for the women's half pipe last night. They really should have scheduled them before the men's because they all pretty much sucked. I can understand not getting the height or doing the tricks the men do, but I swear about 3/4 of them fell.

Oh, and I love the Speedskating (short course)...it's like roller derby on ice. :-D

11. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

I do like winter also but are you having to watch at 3:00 am? I've been awake anyway because I'm sick but has to be a bummer for people who have to work

12. abz1nthe

abz1nthe Command Sergeant Major

ya I think the only thing I've watched and enjoyed so far was the Full pipe snowboarding and women's curling lol Not sure why but it really sucked me in. Maybe it was the young ladies in spandex :)

13. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Must be a guy's sport..you know, requires coordination, focus, strength, that sort of stuff:-D:-D:-D
    ;):wave
    (Probably get meself banned now)

14. silas

silas MajorGeek

I ve been watching the games. USA is doing pretty good. Last thing I watched was downhill skying and then there was woman snowboard(which I was disappointed in) And not because USA didnt win medals but because the snowboarding action was IMO not the greatest. Most weren't getting much air which Ive seen many of them do before and in past years woman have done usually great. They even said oh we should get many scores in the 40's 1st round.. but I think there was only one that hit 40's and those numbers that were really low... You make it to the games and you get a 5.9 or whatever. I know you got to be thinking in your head either go big and win/score.... and likely mess up or keep it safe.. Most likely Id keep it safe 1st round then second round depends on what I need most likely try hard tricks and if I fall I fall tring.. But I men it was all falls mostly on woman snowboarding :(

15. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Been watching faithfully.
    I think it's been a great specticle, it's great to see so much patriotism from all countries but here in Canada it's off the chart, not even this much fuss when the Euro Cup was in England.
    All the athletes and everyone involved deserves to feel proud.

The Olympics always showcase the human spirit and will to go on no matter what.
    The Sweedish girl completed the cross country with 4 broken ribs and a punctured/collasped lung!! I mean OMG!! THAT is just......amazing.
    Not only did she finish, she got Bronze!

Seeing the Canadian lad be presented with Canada's first Gold Medal on home turf on Flag day was just awesome....and I'm not Canadian!!

The whole thing has been great and I'm loving it :)

One thing puzzles me is where the Canadian Hockey team were the other night, dunno who the lookallikes were but it wasn't the Can team :-D

Oh and Britain just won a gold medal this evening! Yay!
    Womens Skeleton but nearly half a second, made me very pleased, I don't care how many we get I'm just glad we got 1 gold.

16. DavidGP

Love your thinking Abz :)

17. Paxton007

Paxton007 MajorGeek

I love curling!!!

18. augiedoggie

LOL@abz Ya, some real lookers there eh?;):drool

Wow, we squeaked by the last two games in mes's but Japan 11, Great Britain 4! What's with that man?! :eek

19. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Hehe Britain vs Canada tonight!

Who do I cheer for?

I guess it's a win - win situation for me :-D

20. augiedoggie

Well, Murdoch is Martin's nemesis as he beat us the last 4 times they played! I hope Martin can get that monkey off his back!:eek

21. augiedoggie

Yay, the monkey was at least stunned!:celebrate They may meet again if GB beats their next opponent. Man, GB was favoured to win the gold and still may but they're going about it the hard way.

22. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

We always bloody do lol

It was a good game and Canada landed some awesome shots , the second (or maybe 3rd) from last was almost surgical and the long guard the UK lad placed was.......maybe meant for a different game? :-D

I was surprisingly disappointed, didn't think I would be but we were out played, no two ways about it.

23. augiedoggie

I wish I had seen it live as ctvolympics.ca was supposed to stream it but I never figured out how. Had a few too many ales by that time.;):-D At least there was some good short track action to assuage me.:)

24. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol Yeah it was good to watch, I've been watching most of it, well that which I get on TV lol
    Canada vs Germany in Hockey tonight, thankfully they wont have an American bricklayer putting a wall up in front of the net tonight lol

25. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Well Britain are out of the Curling :( well played though guys.
    Canada beat Germany :)

And the fear in this Country about facing the Russians.......well....the Americans woke the sleeping dogs and the Russians paid the price....7-3 Canada, fanbloodytastic!
    The Canadians are FINALLY showing the world who's game it really is!

Bring on the Semi's!!

Womens Hockey Final tonight, USA vs Canada..........Oooo mama it's gonna be a fight to the last.

26. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!!

Even though I'm from and in the U.S., a substantial part of me is rooting for the North of the Borders. It'd be great if the U.S and "O Canada" took gold and silver in the hockey games, regardless of the order.

And yes, the win over the Russians was great to watch! Very decisive!:wave

27. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I would like to see US vs Canada in the mens final, I think it will be very different from Sunday, wouldn't like to guess the result.
    Damn Miller is like a freaking brick wall, absolutely amazing performance, while the Canadian front line are like snipers and now have clear scopes.
    Would be very interesting.

28. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

Canada actually outplayed the US. The problem for us was Russell in goal.
    The Canada Russia game was even better. Russia looked totally lost in their own end. It was easy to tell, 'cause I have HD. Even the curling looks way better. I'm spoiled now.

29. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Congrats to all you Canucks!!

Your women's hockey team did it again!:wave

But what about that beer and champagne drunk fest, along with cigars! On the ice!!! I was never so shocked!:-D:-D[​IMG]

Scandalous, at least they didn't take their shirts off, (shucks):-D:-D:-D

Seriously____Congratulations to the Canadians!![​IMG]

30. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol It was a good game although the ref was an idiot and called both sides for little things but ignored major infractions.
    Other than that it was a great game and well played on both teams parts.

The whole drinking thing, thats kind of funny especially since there is a picture of the 18 y/o girl drinking and smoking when in Vancouver she is underage :-D

Maybe Shannon Szabados could teach Martin Brodeur a thing or two :-D

31. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

What's worse, is one of those girls is holding a Silver Bullet, (Coor's Lite).

Now she should be extradited!!:-D:-D:-D

32. augiedoggie

I missed the game due to the storm but loved to see them celebrate! BTW Ned, drinking age is 18 here AFAIK.;)

33. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

So my g/f told me, but they ain't there :p
    I'm just glad they got it, I love seeing home teams win especially at this level.

I do hope you don't miss tonights game ;)

USA just scored against Finland, 2 minutes in.

34. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Well that game was........odd lol
    USA 6 -Finland 1

All US goals scored in first period, very strange, I have no idea what the Fin's were doing in the first period but the US took advantage of it perfectly.

Canadian Women currently in the lead in Curling 1-0 End 3.

Next is Canada vs Slovakia, mens hockey.
    I'm not sure I can watch lol

But should they win it's going to be a rematch.....for Gold!! WooHoo!!

35. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

What a game, Canada owned that ice........of course until they decided they had won and apparently all started drifting off into Gold Medal dream land in the 3rd lol

The last 3 minutes were intense, man did Slovakia pour it on heavy, credit to them, they certainly deserve the Bronze over Finland.

USA vs Canada Final!!! Yeeeeeessss!!

This is going to be interesting :-D

And the Womens Curling team got Silver, nothing at all to be ashamed of, they played fantastically all along and really deserved the gold but Sweden just pulled a rabbit out of the hat in the last 2 End's.

36. augiedoggie

Yawn, I stayed up too late watching hockey but what the heck eh?;) It's really too bad for the curling gals as they had two chances to finish off the Swedes.:(

37. augiedoggie

LOL! :drool

38. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Calm down boys lol

Mens Curling on now, doing ok so far.

Good day for Canada so far today, Bronze and 2 Golds. :)

39. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

-------Medals------------------------G--S--B-Tot.
    United States United States--9 14 13 36
    Germany Germany -------------10 12 7 29
    Canada Canada ----------------- 13 7 5 25
    More info
    http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-medals/

40. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

2 Hours 15 minutes to go!

And my wife is working until 3:30 :mad so not only does she miss the first period and a half but I miss some too because I have to go pick her up :mad
    Damn place just couldn't let her finish a half hour earlier :mad

And what a day yesterday for Canada, talk about on the edge of my seat :-D

41. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

And now less than an hour to go!!:-D

Seriously, yes Ned, Canada has done extraordinarily well in these Olympics. You guys have a lot to be proud of, you've achieved a serious status in the WO!!:wave

42. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

You know something Brandy, I'm English, moved to Canada nearly 5 years ago to be with my girl. This Olympics has brought patriotic feelings racing to the surface that I never thought I'd have for this country.
    Yes the athletes have done extremely well, ALL of them have and we've seen feats by people that simply inspire but the atmosphere in this country is simply electric EVERYWHERE!
    I thought I had experienced it before with England and the World Cup (Football/Soccer), but even though I'm about 3000 miles from Vancouver, this country has shown me that Canada is one of the proudest countries in the world.
    The whole thing has been phenomenal, I can't begin to imagine what it's like in Vancouver.

I obviously hope Canada wins today but realistically speaking, there have been no losers.
    Whoever takes gold today it marks the end of one of the most spectacular events I have ever seen.

So many records have been broken one way and another.
    So many feats of strength, determination and willpower in the face of adversity.

I just hope todays game is a good clean eventful game that shows both teams deserve to be called the Best on the Planet.

I also hope Miller doesn't put his invisible wall up again lol

43. augiedoggie

LOL, I almost fell off of my seat!:-D Lots of records tied and with a Canuck win today, the most golds won! I think this might be the most anticipated hockey game for me since the USSR skated to a 3-3 tie with the Montreal Canadiens in their first ever matchup. That was a barn burner man!!!:eek It was non-stop action for 60 minutes. I sure hope that neither team plays the trap as that will kill a hockey game!:mad Thanks Fred Shero.

44. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

OH!!

MY!!!

GOD!!!!

What an incredible game, I can tell you now, the USA put the fear of God into Canada.

Final Score

Canada 3 - 2 USA (Crosby in overtime)

Finally this Comercial makes perfect sense.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Sde16DFKw&feature=related

Excellent game, both teams deserved to win.

But personally it's the first time in my life I have watched a team I support win a major event!!

This house is LOUD right now!!

My perfect end to a perfect Olympics!

To all who supported the USA, you have no need to feel bad, the US team were a different team to the rest of the tournament, they WANTED it and they very nearly took it and they and you, should feel very proud. and personally I think Ryan Miller deserves a Gold Medal, amazing goal tender.

To Canadians.......... YEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!

45. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

great game. I think USA was the better team for the tourney, but In overtime, it's always up for grabs.

46. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I agree, the US owned the Tournament, this game was right down the middle all the way.
    There were no losers today, Canada won but the US didn't lose.

Miller should definitely be MVP of the Tourny.

Awesome entertainment!

47. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

As much as I hated that tying goal, it sure made for an incredible ending. Crosby "woke up" at the right time.
    I can't agree that the US owned the tourney. Canada outplayed them in the game they lost in the round robin. Miller shone. (I got his name right this time. I keep calling him Russell for some reason and I'm tired of being corrected:-o)

48. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Great game, and I'm not a hockey fan, at all, this was the first game I've ever watched.
    It was clear that the best two teams were there, I think also that the best man won!
    Congrats Canucks to a great victory and a great Olympics!!!

49. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

@sibeer... When I say US owned the tourny, I meant overall, they were the most consistant team, Canada out played them last week, Finland out played them in the 2nd and 3rd period, but with Miller in goal and the bursts of intensity from the front line was enough to put them on top.
    Canada were up and down a lot, even in the semi final they looked like the best in the world.....until they decided they had won and didn't need to play anymore lol
    Forutnately in the Final they showed the world what they can do.

As for Crosby, everyone was moaning that he had blanked the last couple of games and I thought it was just so fitting that he scored the final and descisive point of the Olympics.

One last thing to say about hockey.....LUUUOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :tough

50. augiedoggie

Oohhh my poor head! Are the Olympics over? Who won the hockey game?:p:-D That was sooome ride man!:eek[​IMG] That was us last night!:-D Indeed a most excellent games, and a nice self deprecating shot at the failure of the hydraulics in the opening ceremonies.

A new record of golds which no one even came close to predicting, heck we were all worried about even getting one at the start. I also liked the champagne at center ice and the beer walk through Whistler!roflmao Some might take it as taunting though I take it as being Canadian.:) Champagne on ice, it has a nice ring to it.;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds