cautious new user question

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by gatorman, Jun 24, 2007.

1. gatorman

gatorman Private E-2

just purchased my first computer and thought I had all pop up blockers, anti virus and malware in place. today when I was job hunting on the internet the screen went back to my desktop and an official looking window that said windows internet explorer came on and said some error about adresses was detected and to click ok for this free fix. since i didn't trust where it came from I hit cancel and my internet window came back up with something called patch doctor or other that wanted me to download some "free" fix. Does anyone know what went on there? This also happened the other day with some drive cleaner thing that said I should erase my web tracks because my creditors and employers would see 984 undesirable tracks to weird sites or something or other. Well hell I have only had the bloody computer for 2 weeks and you tube is as racy a thing as I have done on the internet. How can these things get through when I am using this internet?

2. rayzur

rayzur Private First Class

Hi gatorman, welcome to majorgeeks! This site has everything you need to get your computer in safe surfing condition.
    If you don't have the proper safegaurds in place you can get infected within 30 minutes on the internet.
    Have a look at these guides, they are written to save everyone time.

Setting up a new computer

READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

How to Protect yourself from malware!

Make sure your computer is clean before you start applying the steps in the last link,"How to Protect yourself from malware!"

There are many knowledgeable people around here that are always glad to lend a helping hand.
    Once again, welcome to MajorGeeks:)

3. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

welcome to MG's. does sound like maleware. a visit to the malware forum should sort you out..

4. gatorman

gatorman Private E-2

Thank you for the info. I will definitely look into this.

5. gatorman

gatorman Private E-2

thanks for the tip. Another member Rayzur also had good info that I'm looking into.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds