Can connect through router but not through modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rp5y, Sep 2, 2006.

1. rp5y

rp5y Private E-2

So as the title states, I'm trying to test if any of my ping spikes and packet loss are due to my router or my ISP, so I'm trying to test the connection on this one computer by connecting it directly to the DSL modem. However, when I try to do this it will not work, and I get no connectivity at all, to get internet once again I have to connect through my router.

This only happens on one computer, the rest I can connect directly through the modem...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Try Control Panel -> Network Connections. Right click on Local Connection. General tab -> highlight Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) and click on Properties button. See if IP addresses are hard-coded. If so, note the current settings in case you want to restore them, and click on both Obtain an IP address and Obtain DNS server addresses automatically. Then see if you can connect directly thru the modem.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Also try hard setting the dns in the same place, after getting the dns servers from your isp.

4. rp5y

rp5y Private E-2

I tried obtaining the IP address and DNS servers automatically to no avail, I'll try only hardsetting the DNS servers and obtaining IP address automatically and see if that works...

thanks for the advice

5. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Are you powering off the modem before you connect the PC to it? It has probably "remembered" the MAC address of the router.

6. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

And what is doing the Authentication (ID PW) of the account when you are conneted directly to the Modem?

:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds