help with high CPU usage

Discussion in 'Software' started by scott.jeffreys, Feb 10, 2009.

1. scott.jeffreys

scott.jeffreys Private E-2

I'm having trouble with my high CPU usage with no results. It runs about 25-30% most of the time and seems to be more of a problems when I run on battery only. I've scanned with every malware and virus program and nothing seems to be out of order. I've also run task manager. System Idle process is usually at 99% which is normal. the only thing that spikes is wmiprvse.exe, System.exe and explorer.exe, but they only spike to about 1 or 2%. I've run process explorer and it seems to be a hardware interrupt, but I don't know how to nail down the problem. Here is the Hijack this log. Let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary or if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Attached Files:

• HJT.txt
      File size:
      13.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2009
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Hijackthis generally wont show anything other than some browser hijacks etc and not a great troubleshooting tool, unlike Process Explorer etc, but it did show something that you may wish to look at in that you have a large amount of startup applications, this is not a major issue, but can slow your PC down and some could cause high CPU usage as you have many tasks going on that dont need to be.

Using Hijackthis delete this line
    O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - (no file)

If the CPU is at 30%ish and only some items spike 1 or 2% then you must have something else constantly running at 25-30% does Process Explorer not highlight anything?

What I would do is to boot into Safe Mode and see if you experience the same highish cpu usage, this may narrow down a startup or driver as the cause, if this issue is not continuing then grab CCLeaner and run its cleaner and registry cleaner tools.

Then in CCleaner and this is only a method to try and find the cause, click Tools > Startup > then disable these

TpShocks.exe
    Smax4.exe /tray
    ISUSPM.exe (install shield updater)
    issch.exe (install shield updater)
    Reader_sl.exe (acrobat reader helper)
    smax4pnp.exe
    igfxtray.exe
    igfxpers.exe
    ctfmon.exe
    WMPNSCFG.exe
    ISUSPM.exe" -scheduler

if not listed like that in CCleaners startups list then post a screenshot of the CCleaner starups list. Lenovo sure do add a serious amount of startups of their own to the startup list of apps, dont knwo enough about them to know if they are 100% needed, but the ones above are udpaters or un-needed startups, some are the sound control panel this is found anyway in Control Panel and not needed to be duplicated in System Tray.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds