Inspiron 1501 impossible battery fix

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wilkems, May 19, 2012.

1. Wilkems

Wilkems Private E-2

I have put at least 20 hours into this laptop. I'm not crazy tech savvy but here's what's going on...

Dell inspiron 1501 decided it couldn't read the battery one day. "Battery not identified" on boot up. When I look at the battery icon it says "Plugged in, Charging" except it's not charging. The day before I could get 2 hours off this bad boy so I doubt it just died all of the sudden. The cable looks great too. I can only run it off the AC. As soon as I disconnect it, it dies. I tried flashing the bios, computer froze, and I learned the hard way why you don't restart mid flash.

Bought a new motherboard and installed it all myself. Upon loading, same problem. I tried to flash the bios again but this time got an "error code - 144" I read about removing the battery so the computer runs on AC to flash and that working. I tried removing the battery, uninstalled the battery driver so it had to run on AC, and the fact that it was working and the battery symbol showed it having a plug means it's running on AC. Nothing. New motherboard, can't flash the bios.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! I'm going insane. Thank you.

2. im no geek

im no geek Private E-2

Hello guys I need help... My Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop has a weird problem. the laptop does not recognize the power adaptor and hence it is not charging but when I remove the battery and keep plugged in, it shuts down. (That means battery is fine just not charging). I can not bypass the battery coz if I do, the laptop shuts down. I had to take the battery to another laptop and get it charged. When I return it back to my laptop and plug in, it displays 2500 hours remaining-not plugged in. when I remove the power adapter, it displays 2 hours remaining-not plugged in. Please help me!!!

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

im no geek, welcome to MajorGeeks.
    Don't post the same thing more than once and never add your problem to someone else's thread.

Start here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    click the new thread button near the top left and start your own thread.

4. BESmithEnt

BESmithEnt Private E-2

I had the same problem just recently. This is not a very scientific solution, and it may not work for you, but here is how I "fixed" my problem.

With the computer plugged in to the power supply, and running, I removed the battery.

I waited a few minutes and then re installed the battery (while the laptop was running.)

It seemed to recognize the battery at that point, but still would not charge.

I removed the battery once again, while the laptop was running,. Waited about two minutes and inserted it again.

Finally recognized AND charged the battery.

It doesn't make much sense to me, but it worked. Might be worth a try.

It is worth noting that I downloaded and installed the latest BIOS for my Laptop before I did the above. Dell Inspiron 1501 running Win XP.

Best of luck!

Brian

5. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi All,

Don't forget that battery cells is not all that the battery case contains. There is also a small processor chip and components that monitor each cell and report back to the computer circuitry. That can also malfunction or quit suddenly.

Good Luck, Jim

6. mark79

mark79 Private E-2

I had similar issue once so i just kept using it without battery by keeping it plugged in. So i inserted battery after a while and it was recognized. If your issue is major then maybe professional help will be needed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds