"Owner" and "Administrator" Windows XP Home

Discussion in 'Software' started by colinandlisa, Mar 24, 2006.

1. colinandlisa

colinandlisa Private E-2

After reformatting our hard drive, and re-installing Windows XP Home edition, I've noticed that theres (what seems to be) a psuedo profile.

To explain:

We haven't set up any specific user profiles, so when we boot our computer up, it automatically logs into Windows (bypasses the login screen). If I were to log out, or choose "switch user" in the shut down menu, it does bring us to the login screen, where the only profile available to log into is "Owner".

However, if we boot up in safe mode, there are 2 profiles: "Administrator" and "Owner". We also notice this difference when looking in the "Our documents" folder. There is "Administrator documents" and "Owner documents" and "all users" . When we look in the user accounts in control panel, it only shows as having an "owner" account, set with administrator settings.

Why is this? Are there actually 2 different profiles here, and if so, how did that happen on a clean re-install? Does this have any security issues with it (i.e. when I scan my computer for threats, does it scan "owner" or both?) I don't seem to remember having this issue when I was using Windows XP Pro.

Thanks for the help.

2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Hi ColinandLisa
    You aren't supposed to notice the "man behind the curtain" in WinXP Home. You have peeked, so you've discovered the changeable account - "owner" and the non-removable account "administrator". You may be assured that all is well in OZ. However, this type of vigilance will pay dividends.:)

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Somehwat less cryptic:

Windows XP Home has a single user account, and a built in Admin account.

4. colinandlisa

colinandlisa Private E-2

so how do use the admin account? what is it there for then?

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Mostly for troubleshooting. Its only accessible in XP Home from Safe Mode.

6. true1337

true1337 Private E-2

you can also acess it in normal mode if there is no password. What u have to do is load a pss on your normal name when you get to the choose name screen only your normal name will be there hit alt ctrl del,twice. this will bring up a window where yu can type a username and password type in administrator with no pass and you are in.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No you can't.

Not in XP Home.

8. true1337

true1337 Private E-2

yes it is possible the computer must have been freshly restarted and press ctrl alt del, ctrl alt del at the window that displays your user name. if u follow exaclty you will get the old style logon like windows 2000s

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If you are unsure, please double check your information prior to posting.

To Those Offering Help To Others

http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=321305
    http://www.tweakxp.com/article37389.aspx
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm

No, its not possible. I am not interested in arguing something I know as fact confusing the original poster, and if I need to, I will moderate the thread accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2006
  10. true1337

true1337 Private E-2

adrynalyne is correct sry for the confusion i was using a xp pro computer when i did this sry once again just trying to help.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its all good. We are just trying to keep the tech threads as clear and accurate as possible.

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds