Suites or individual security software ??

Discussion in 'Software' started by blueice, Oct 17, 2006.

1. blueice

blueice Private First Class

A question to the board regarding security software. I would like to know which of the two is favored by members. I just got done reading a piece in PC World about security suites. The plus was, the installation of a single piece of software with little or no conflicts. However, the ability of these suites to detect a high percent of spyware was not good. Norton came nearest to 100% but is a resource hog and expensive.

I am beginning to think the answer maybe the latter. There are quite a few programs available. Which would you recommend and which one you would not, either because of conflicts and or effectiveness. All that is being used currently is ZONE ALARM PRO and WEBROOT SPY SWEEPER.

Thanks you any helf.

2. Natakel

Natakel Guest

The only security suite I have used is Norton Internet security 2003. I didn't have any major problems with it except it is a resource hog - that and it can cause major pains when un-installing it. I have anecdotal evidence that Mcafee's suite is a poor performer in this respect also - but no actual experience with it.

I stopped using Norton after their yearly subscription fees became absurd . . . and I do not believe in buying a new program from them every 12months . . .

I decided to use Avast Antivirus Home (it's free) and Zone Alarm (the free version) while I did some research on a good replacement suite . . . but then something unexpected occured . . .

I found I liked the way Avast and Zone Alarm operate, both as individual programs and and interacting with each other. My computer also seemed faster then at any given time then when running Norton Internet Security . . . and both programs are free! I no longer believe that having a "suite" with both firewall and antivirus protection is a certain advantage or more efficient in every circumstance. I am sure there may be shining exceptions to this belief.

The only downside I have found is with Zone Alarm - at times their new versions come out before they are completely tested, in my opinion. I always wait a bit before upgrading to a new version and check the forums on their site to make sure it is stable. I have not seen this problem with Avast at all.

Even with the Zone Alarm minor gripe, I highly recommend this combo for your basic Anti-virus and software firewall protection.

3. Natakel

Natakel Guest

Oops - maybe I jumped the gun and missed the point of your question. As pertains to spyware detection, I also use individual programs (Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and Spyware blaster). I haven't actually used a suite that also includes spy/malware detection.

At any rate, be it firewalls, virus detection, or mal-ware - the best programs on earth will not save you from all infections - safe and knowledgable on-line practices are every bit as important as software!

4. crabpot8

crabpot8 Private E-2

i use AVG Free, Spybot S & D, and Adaware Se and will probably download Mcafee's free virus scanner as well. I have found one virus in the year that i have had my computer, and i downloaded a specific cleaner for that virus...it seems to work fine for me without paying large sums of mula

5. blueice

Natakel, thanks for the advice!! You are right that one most travel safely on the internet. I am lacking a anti-virus amd anti-spam software.

As for Ad-Aware and Spybot their active and inactive detection rate are not up to par (free versions). I will continue the search.

6. blueice

Thanks crabpot. I will look into AVG, however the laters where found lacking.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds