Audio Driver not functioning now...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Peachtree, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

Machine: Dell XPS400 with Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3

Monitor: Dell Flat Panel Ultra Sharp 1704FPT with optional soundbar AS501

So my work computer had a hard drive failure last Monday. I replaced the drive with a new WD internal 500GB and reinstalled all necessary OS and programs. Performed backup of lost data. Went to reinstall network driver, chipset driver, and ATI X600 video card driver - all no problem. But when I went to reinstall the audio driver I cannot get it to work. I verified in the BIOS that integrated audio is turned on. A coworker with the same monitor and soundbar is running the Realtek HD Integrated Audio Driver. I d/l from their website and installed it, but no dice. Tried the one from Dell support site and no luck either.

I need audio for when we do webinars and such...can anyone help this NOOB?

Thanks!
    Wayne

2. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

Tried that and it tells me the system does not support that driver I am trying to install :(

3. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

*bump* ?

4. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

Ok, this is what it says under 'Legacy Audio Driver' for hardware ID:

MS_MMDRV

I'm hesitant to try the other program since this is my work computer though. At home I would, but then I own that one ;)

5. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

I would take a screenshot of my device manager, but don't have any place to host the picture. :(

I tried to d/l EVERY driver from Dell's site, but none worked. Regarding the device...I have nothing yellow or with an "!" next to it. That 'Legacy' driver is the only '"driver" listed under the sound section (the rest are codecs).

:cry

6. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

I have no "services" tab in my task manager.

7. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

Ok, I went there and it is set to automatic, but was not started. I selected "start", but then it started then stopped...

8. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

Oh, and I almost forgot, yes I tried the creative driver but that did not work either...

9. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

Bueller...?

Bueller...?

10. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

To answer your questions:

1) I'm trying to fix it so I can have audio for webinars and webpages
    2) This is a small 3 person office. I AM the pc support (scary huh?)
    3) I prefer to not install any software I am not familiar with because if something bad happens, then it's ME who has it deducted from his paycheck :( If you think that this "Everest software won't cause any issues or problems, then I might consider giving it a go.

Regarding the possible problems:
    1) I downloaded the chipset driver and installed it without any issues.
    2) Doubtful that the sound/motherboard is different than the one listed on Dell's site as no one else here knows how to replace the mouse let alone mess with that stuff.
    3) Not sure what other audio is blocking it, but open to suggestions?

So what should I try next as far as software from here? (What's my best shot at diagnosing)

Thanks,

11. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

Ok, I think I will try the Everest software. I went to d/l it but it didn't work (error page). When I clicked that link you posted earlier, there was something that said it wasn't free anymore? Do you kno wwhere I can d/l a free copy of it?

Thanks,

12. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

Ok, so the results are really long. How do I post the file without copying/pasting?

13. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

If it's a text file, you can attach it to the post (Manage Attachments).

14. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

Ok, Catrin's post looks like spam to me, so I'm not trying that.

I've attached a copy of the report that got...

Attached Files:

15. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

16. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

So I attached a copy of the report as asked, and...nothing???? :confused

17. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

No worries...that's why I get *bump* happy :)

Ok, so I d/l and installed the chipset driver and my sound still didn't work. D/l the SigmaTel driver and when it went to install, it said "The system does not support the driver you are attempting to install" :/

Is there a way based off that report/list I attached earlier that I can tell if I'm specifically missing any drivers before I go randomly wasting time and downloading them all?

Thanks for all your help so far! :)

18. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

Thanks gloozit....appreciate it! :cool

19. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

I doubt it is an unseated card, but perhaps something shifted when I opened the case to replace the hard drive (doubtful given the two opposite locations in the tower but anything is possible I guess)

I will try to reseat the card as suggested. If that doesn't work, I guess we'll try to buy another one. Is it possible that a hard drive going bad could kill the sound card? It was working fine before, then never worked after the HDD bit the dust....

20. Peachtree

Peachtree Private E-2

I'll crack it open this afternoon and post back up here...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds