Router setup Trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fdok, Sep 7, 2007.

1. fdok

fdok Private E-2

Hey guys, I am getting really frustrated with this and can use some help. I rent space in an office building. The internet is shared between each office, but each office is it's own business. In our particular area we want to set up a wireless router because we have multiple computers and laptops running and want internet on all, and to be able to print from all computers to one printer. When trying to install the netgear router It doesn't connect and self assigns a 169.xxx address.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Mxxxi>ipconfig/release

Windows IP Configuration

IP Address for adapter Local Area Connection has already been released.

C:\Documents and Settings\Mxxx>ipconfig/renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to con
    tact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

C:\Documents and Settings\Mxxxi>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BlueLight
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
    rnet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-E0-18-45-06-45
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.194.252
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

When we first moved in, the IT guy came in and worked on getting it set up, spent over an hour on trying and never got it to work. We don't believe he is the brightest bulb out there. So if we can get this fixed without him that would be the best. Help me out?

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I gather the line coming into the building comes into another office, not yours. Is that right? If so, I'd guess a router is already installed, i.e. connected to the modem, in the room where the modem is located. That's how they are connecting mulitiple offices to a single Internet service.

If this is the case, then, by connecting a router to the line in your office, you're really connecting a router to a router. And, if this is the case, I believe you need to disable DHCP on the secondary router, or the one in your office. For more info on connecting a router to a router, I suggest you visit the website of the router manufacturer. If two different brands are involved, you may need to visit both sites. I know suggesting Google searches is generally not liked in MajorGeeks.com forum but, honestly, I don't consider myself a networking expert; I'm just trying to help here. But, I do believe some references found in http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=connecting++two+routers confirm that DHCP needs to be disabled in the seondary router.

I've also seen a reference saying two wireless routers cause certain problems. So, I believe you should determine whether another wireless router is involved in the network.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds