Xp to dual boot XP/Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I just came across this info from WindowsVistaUpgradeAdvisor.msi
    See thumbnail attached.

My question is do I still have to do this on a dual boot system with 2 partitions on the main hard drive?

I hope to be using an OEM version of Vista Home Premium. Bazza

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. bigbazza

Bump. Any Toshiba XP/Vista dual-booters out there? Bazza

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

4. bigbazza

Thanks studiot, but I want to "OEM" to Vista and dual boot.
    I don't want to "upgrade" in the MS sense of the word.
    Would installing an OEM copy on a separate partition make a difference to what MS suggest I delete? :confused :confused Bazza

===

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Yeah your bogies are just software and shouldn't affect an full OEM install.

Its a very good idea to remove all unneeded connections and devices, USB , Bluetooth and the like and reinstroduce them once the basic install has been established.

Following the multple booters rule
    'oldest O/S first'
    i.e.install Vista after XP, as you are, will make life easier.

Good luck

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Hi Bazza, and Studiot.
    As Studiot said, no problem with installing oem Vista, on another partition, with XP installed, unplugging any extras, like on clean install of XP.
    If it interests you...................
    I did not use boot ini options, nor the free boot correctors available.
    My quintuple system ( plus two documents partitions) works well with both- Vista still wants the C, on my setup, but I use Hyperos, so thats another story- If it matters to you, its only the boot drive letter, and usually the computer starts up in the last system used, unless you click on the other system, during startup.
    To give you a real headache, my system starts up showing the two Vista partitions, and the third as earlier operating systems - then if I click on the earlier operating systems, I get the choice of three XP systems.
    If I go into the second Vista partition, it will startup as the C drive- If I startup in the first partition of Vista, it also calls itself C.
    I just renamed the systems as I wanted, and I can go to the correct one, no problem. Even my first XP drive, which was the first I installed will come up as the C drive - thats most likely because of the Hyperos configuring it all .
    Sounds confusing, but the drives all come up in my computer correctly, despite whichever drive I am in.
    I found it such a pain trying to get XP on another drive, or, even on its original partition, after Vista was on it, or, trying to install a fresh copy to a third partition, that I used the Hyperos, and as in that thread pointed to by Studiot- after Vista is on, I found it difficult to install XP.
    Being lazy, the system I use enables me to keep a copy of Vista, and XP, on one of my partitions, in rar, or, zip form, so that I can put XP on any patition that I want to, after Vista is installed, or, reinstall a verified version of Vista to any partition.
    It gave me headaches, when first working it out - but Vista (64bit) and XP home give no problems.
    Vista driver finding is excellent.
    Quality memory is the thing, and lots (4 gb runs nicely - my twin 7600 graphics cards give a 4.2 score (rest in the 5's.)
    Like I said in that link, dual booting is the way, but eventually, you will use Vista more, and more.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  7. bigbazza

Thanks studiot and baklogic for your tips. OEM Vista timetable has slipped a little due to car repairs, but is still on the to-do list. Bazza

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds