Laptop display blank on battery power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by languy99, May 16, 2012.

1. languy99

languy99 Corporal

Hello all this is a strange problem and I have tired to fix it but can't seem to.

We have a HP EliteBoook 8440p that was working well and one day after a driver update to the intel internal graphics card( built into the cpu i5) all went bad.

With the intel driver installed the laptop screen works while hooked up to the dock or ac power but not when disconnected from the power, the screen is blank. It lights up but nothing displays. Hooked up to the dock it can do extended desktop on the other monitor no problem and even the laptop screen works. Disconnect it and it goes blank.

The only way we have found to get the internal screen to workon battery is to uninstall the intel driver and go to the stock one. Then the screen works but we can't do any external monitors or presentations.

Has anyone ever seen this before and have a fix for it?

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

3. languy99

languy99 Corporal

That is the one we used and is the one that killed it.

4. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Are you able to revert the changes in windows threw safe mode.

5. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

6. languy99

languy99 Corporal

we are running windows xp 32 bit on it. Reverting does not work. Strange this is that moving the hard drive to another computer just like it the problem does not happen. Does updating the driver somehow update the firmware of the gpu?

7. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If you take it off of the dock, and hook up another monitor, does it still behave like it did when attached to the dock? If on AC or Battery, and the screen lights up, the inverter works, but most likely the cable to the lcd has deteriorated so, that the cable is no longer good.

Also, what happens if you attempt to boot with a Ubuntu LiveCD? Is the screen still blank? If it is, and you have ruled out everything you can, it is most likely that this machine is a good candidate for repair if less than two years old. Anything more than three, you are better off just replacing, since parts are sometimes hard to come by through regular distribution chains, but sometimes you can find parts on eBay or through places like http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/ or http://www.partstore.com/

9. languy99

languy99 Corporal

Hey guys sorry for the late display, we have not had a lot of time to work on it. We are back to it. We tested a live version of ubuntu and everything works fine. It looks like a corrupted driver in windows. Anyone know of a program that will let me search for drivers and remove them?

10. Rikky

This will enable you to clean the video card driver that's where I'd start,often when you update the driver files with the same version will be left in place or malfunctioning settings will be left so I would try a clean install of the video card driver first.

First turn off automatic driver install

http://www.addictivetips.com/window...tomatic-driver-installation-in-windows-vista/

Restart your computer and boot into safe mode,now uninstall your video card driver and run this program to completely remove the driver.

http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Sweeper_d6171.html

Restart your computer and open gpedit.msc again and revert the change to allow you to install the driver.

Install the latest driver.

11. languy99

languy99 Corporal

Thanks, we will give it a try and see what happens. I'll let you know how it turns out.

12. languy99

languy99 Corporal

Hey all back with an update, we ran the driver sweeper and found NVIDIA drivers on the system even though it has nothing from nvidia. It looks like the IT guy installed nvidia drivers on a system that has none. We removed the two display drivers but the system it still doing it. There are other nvidia drivers listed. We will remove them tomorrow but I was wondering is someone has a manual procedure to remove nvidia or a tool so that we can make sure to scrub the system of all left overs?

13. Rikky

They all do the same thing as driver sweeper,remove registry keys,files from C: drive and files in the windows folder.

Read and follow this from Nvidia if you have no luck-

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds