how to ping router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dragracer1199, Dec 15, 2008.

1. dragracer1199

dragracer1199 Private E-2

How do I ping my router? It is a lynksys if that makes a difference. thanks

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

well there are 2 interfaces that youd be pinging. your gateway(internal ip) and the WAN interfaces external ip provided to you by your isp.

you ping anything by going into your command prompt and typing ping ip address
    so example: ping 192.168.1.1

what are you tying to figure out?

3. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

sorry, command prompt can be accessed via run.

start - run - type cmd - hit enter

thatll bring your command prompt up.

4. dragracer1199

dragracer1199 Private E-2

Thanks. I'm having trouble with internet connection at my daughters apt. complex. I can connect to the router, but no web pages can be displayed.

5. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

so when you say you can connect to the router, do you mean wirelessly? does it work if you plug in? can you ping a website at all? ping www.google.com

6. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

If you open up the command prompt and type "IPCONFIG", look for the IP address of the Default Gateway. That should provide you with the internal IP address of your router (assuming you're truly connected to it). If you can ping it, you should also be able to HTTP to it by IP address from a web browser, if necessary. The manual to the router should explain how to use the web based administrative interface. You should be able to ping and tracert to internet destinations from there, also. Be aware that pinging a destination by name assumes that you are getting DNS resolution--which may also be performed by the router. If you don't have a connection to the router, it won't be able to resolve the name. If you try to ping a website, most destinations will drop ICMP traffic and you won't get a response from the ping anyway (Google is an exception). Some home routers can also be configured to drop ICMP on the WAN interface as a security feature, which may prevent you from pinging the external interface of the router. You could perform an NSLOOKUP of google.com from a functioning computer and then tracert to Google's IP from the computer that's not working to see how far you're getting.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds