Drive size and partition size not equal.

Discussion in 'Software' started by signdoc, Apr 12, 2011.

1. signdoc

signdoc Private E-2

I created a boot partition of 39GB. After installing the Windows XP OS the c drive size (under Properties) is shown as 16GB. Why are these two numbers not equal and can I increase the drive size to something close to the 39GB?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Couple thoughts;
    You might want to run chkdisk to check for errors on the drive.
    Check drive management and see what it shows for partitions and space. It's possible you needed to wipe ALL partitions, then set it up as you want. If not done properly, this could be your problem as well.

What size is the drive? (assuming 40GB)
    What program are you using to partition?
    Some questions to point us in the right direction if the above fails to help or unless someone else has an idea.

3. signdoc

signdoc Private E-2

Thank you for the response.
    I partitioned this 120GB IDE disk about three months ago, using Cute Partition Manager (CPM), into a 39GB(Boot) and 75GB partition. I have used CPM before and since without a problem.
    CHDSK shows no errors.
    Disk Management shows drive C: Capacity 16GB in the upper window, Capacity 39GB in the lower window.
    Hope this helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds