Need Wireless NIC Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RightGirl, Aug 16, 2004.

1. RightGirl

RightGirl Private First Class

Help....

Installed Wireless Network at a friend's home.
    Started with his desktop, now I have to get 2 NIC cards for the Laptops.

XP Pro with P4 Compaq EVO N800v Laptop
    and
    98SE with P3 IBM Thinkpad T20 Laptop

Need to purchase wireless NIC cards for each
    does it matter what I purchase?

I found this and wondered....
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?D29651119

1) would it fit in both, and
    2) what's the difference between 802.11b & 802.11g

Linda :rolleyes:

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

take your pick: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=0

the above uses the pcmcia slot on the laptops, so they'd better have one on them.
    as for 802.11b vs 11g, 11b is spec'ed for 11mb/s, while the g is spec'ed at 54mb/s. g is faster, but not as fast as the 100mb/s on normal lans.

the one in the link does work, but i'd recommend an 11g for faster file transfers

3. RightGirl

RightGirl Private First Class

that was not a complete link
    didn't take me where you wanted me to go

I'm going to newegg.com and searching for 802.11g 54mb and see where that takes me. More than likely it'll take me to the link you tried to provide.

Thank you very much
    Also thanx for the heads up on Newegg.
    I'd been told about how inexpensive everything wast there a LONG time ago and completely forgot about them.
    Thanx again.
    Linda
    ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds