Move My Music to Shared Music problem.

Discussion in 'Software' started by MTBgod, Jan 12, 2005.

1. MTBgod

MTBgod Private E-2

I am having a problem moving My Music to Shared Music. I have 5 users on my XP Pro computer at home. We would all like to share our music (and pictures). I tried dragging my "My Music" folder to my "Shared Documents" folder and it did something wierd. Now when I go to "Shared Documents" it shows "Joe's Music" instead of "Shared Music". Is there a way to change it so it says "Shared Music" again?

Thanks for your help.

Joe

2. MTBgod

MTBgod Private E-2

OK, well, I thought I'd answer my own question in case anyone out there had the same problem. And, I wanted to keep any of you from going through the effort if I had already fixed it.

To rename the Shared Music back to the original name instead of "Joe's Music" I edited the Desktop.ini file. It is a hidden, system file, so be sure to check your setting before you go hunting. Edit the Destop.ini located within the folder you want to effect. Now keep in mind I kind of mudded my way through this one, so you will have to do most of the work. I compared a correct Desktop.ini for a folder that was working and then changed the Desktop.ini file to match. Then I had to monkey with the reference number until I got it to state the correct folder name. All in all not to tough.

As for my other problem of losing and references to "My Music" in my profile, I just created a new profile (user) and copied my data over.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else out there.

Joe

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds