Is it my DVD burner?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marcbolan, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Marcbolan

Marcbolan Private E-2

Right, I have been backing up my DVDs for about 2 years using DVD shrink to encode and then burn with nero.

Now EVERYTIME I try and burn a backup copy of my DVD, the burn completes with no apparent errors but when played back it is very stuttery and choppy and jumpy. When I play the video ts files on my hard drive before burning, they are FINE! What on earth is going on? I am using the same method as always so have no clue as to whether my DVD writer is caput or if it is another problem?

Any help please,
    Ta x

2. Marcbolan

Marcbolan Private E-2

I forgot to add -

My dvd writer is TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E

I am using Datawrite Titanium DVDs

I have already checked DMA in device manager and the primary IDE still says current is PIO even though use DMA when avail is selected. I have cleaned the laser with a DVD cleaner disc and I have checked for new drivers and firmware.

3. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Have you tried other media? They're definitely NOT all alike, and Datawrite could have changed the formulation of the Titanium DVDs in a way that doesn't agree with your drive.

How well do the recordings you're making play back on another machine?

You might want to try media rated at a higher write speed than your drive.

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

The problem with DVD RW burners or any other DVD burner along with it is that not all media and burners get along, there is usually a recommended list of media mfg's that the burner mfg recommends. Try looking for a filmware upgrade too.

5. Marcbolan

Marcbolan Private E-2

I have tried 3 diff types of disc, including ones that I used before the problem and still no joy. When I try and read one of the discs with dvddecrypter it comes up with an i/o device error. I have checked for firmware update and none available. It is all very confusing.

6. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Did you made any changes to the hardware or configuration of your system around the time the problem appeared?

7. theguy

theguy Private E-2

Wow, I've got almost the exact same problem. I just figured my Sony Vaio was getting old. But I'll bump to help you out.

8. earlthemailman

earlthemailman Corporal

Have you been doing any other activities while burning your movie? Such as playing a game, or anything. That can hinder your burner's preformance, and have cause several of my movies to have that choppy and skippy playback.

9. theguy

theguy Private E-2

Well in my case, no. My DVD drive still reads cds and dvds fine, which is wierd.

10. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

It sounds like either there is a problem with what DVD Shrink is putting on the DVD recordable, or with the decoding process when you play it back. Both the compression and the decompression are CPU-intensive -- if it's busy doing other things, the output from the compression/decompression will suffer. So -- some questions:
    • When you play one of your compressed DVDs on another machine with the same or similar software, does it exhibit the same misbehaviour?
    • What results do you get when you play a compressed DVD that was made on another machine?
    • What percentage of the CPU's resources are in use immediately prior to, and during, the creation or playback of one of the compressed disks? (If you're running Windows, there is probably a CPU usage monitor somewhere on your system.)
    • Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling DVD Shrink?

It seems that there are discussion fora out there that are dedicated to DVD Shrink. You might try this one to start, if you haven't found it already. To find more, just google "DVD Shrink" (with the quotes).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds