tablet vs nook vs ipod vs ipod

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by watchntv, Dec 17, 2011.

1. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

my brother wants an IPAD, I have no idea why,"cause they're cool!"
    I want something that can use aps, but prefer it to be able to stick in my pocket, not need wifi-(so I can make sure I have a deal at walmart, etc) and use it to also check email and with a keyboard

is there such a device?

why are the nook/kindle are selling so much cause people like to read the only thing stopping people reading books is the can't buy them and carry them around? or*gasp* check them out at the library?

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

An Android smart phone should run the same apps as an Android tablet. There are many models that have the built-in scanner for price checking apps and reading QR codes (those funny looking code boxes that are now starting to appear in ads and on products).

Accessory keyboards that connect to the phone's micro USB port are available.

I've wondered the same thing myself. My theory is a combination of marketing hype, their basic WiFi ability and laziness: Why check out a book at the library for free if you can blow ten bucks to download it from Amazon or Barnes & Noble? rolleyes

3. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

:-D
    if the nook, et al, dont have internet capabilities without wi-fi, can't I just get a simple internet reader, adobe? and download books on my laptop? true, I wont have the nook to show everyone, HEY I KAN REED!

4. Stefan.P

Stefan.P Private E-2

But you still need to learn how to write :-D just a joke :-D

5. Stefan.P

Stefan.P Private E-2

My personal opinion is this, there are 7" inch tablets that are cheap and are with sim card so you can use them like mobile(with earphones),they also have android so you can use themfor anything. Hope this will help you.

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Convenience. I know a guy who fixes cars. He keeps manuals for about 30-40 common makes on his and has dozens more on a PC if he needs them. He would need a truck just to haul around that much in paper. My contractor friend keeps all his code books on one. I've got one so I don't have to carry around a suitcase full of books while traveling.

7. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Part of the issue is each service uses a different format for their books so you need a few different reader apps. Just got my wife an iPad2 and she has different apps for ebooks she gets from our local library, Kindle, iBooks, Barnes&Noble, etc.

Don't get one of those cheap $100-$150 7" android tablets (Sylvania, Pandigital, etc). Wife had one, they are usually limited to the app store for that brand (unless you hack the tablet) so I got her the iPad. Now she does use it to web surf, get email, edit work documents so for her an iPad2 works. If you don't need that a Kindle Fire may be a good alternative with features he may end up using at a later time.

Sam

8. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The Kindle Fire is junk. Check out the reviews.

9. watchntv

watchntv Private E-2

isnt that what pdfs are for?
    or does this guy have the manual on his nook and looks at it as he is fixing a car? or could he just have the files on a computer
    I wasnt bashing the format used to share the info, just the idea of having a little gizmo that is only good for reading books

so when are they going to make textbooks in pdf format so I dont have to lug those around?
    or how do I get textbooks on tape?

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

11. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It's a tablet, but yes that is exactly what he does.
    Drag your computer under your car and tell me how that works out.;)
    E-ink readers run for weeks between charges, can store hundreds of books and fit in a small bag or pocket. If that's all you need, the rest is overkill.
    They do.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds