How to dual boot XP and Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by pclover, Jun 11, 2007.

1. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Here is how you dual boot XP and Vista.

Attached Files:

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Yes save the file to your pc read it and print it out so you can go step by step when doing dual boot XP and Vista.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Live CDs do not need any or very little hard drive involvement if you make any settings. It is totally safe. If you install a complete *nix OS, then you will need a cleared partition.

As to the guide, I've never done it this way as when I install XP, I make partitions for eventual use by a new OS. I'd guess the guide would be good for a system with a pre-installed XP.

4. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

Thank you. I am still confused, but this might help.......

5. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

The reason i am telling people to use DISKPART is because i used the liveCD and it messed up my pc and would not boot the vista DVD. There is a way to modify it to say Microsoft Windows XP But like i said i don't recommend. Here is were you can download the tool
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/EasyBCD.shtml

!!!IF ANYTHING HAPANS TO YOUR PC I CAN NOT BE BLAMED. USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

YOU MUST DO THIS FROM WINDOWS VISTA

1. Download and install EasyBCD

2. Open it and click on Configure Boot

3. Were it says Earlier Version of Windows erase that and put Microsoft Windows XP

4. Make sure its on Drive D:\ it will be the second option

5. Click Save Settings

6. reboot and see if it says Microsoft Widnows XP and Microsoft Widndows Vista On the Windows Boot Manger

Thanks for using this guide

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

pclover has done very well with this post, and for those not familiar with dual booting, especially with Vista, it is the easiest way to do it.
    As regards changing boot options, Vista will take C: wherever you put it, so his reminder to change D: (or, whichever partition that an operating system shows), makes it simple to understand.
    Those familiar with partitioning with XP may well have partitions setup, but the ability to strink the original operating system area, by Vista, is a bonus tool, and will make it easier for many to setup, and partition their drive(s).
    Well done.:clap

7. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

I am trying to learn how to dual boot my computer. I have XP on it now and want to add Vista.
    So.when i try to do it, this from clover will help, but I still need to learn more.

I had nothing to add. I am not computer smart when it comes to this.:eek:

8. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

any more replays?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds