When installing get error messages

Discussion in 'Software' started by foxygrandma, Feb 14, 2010.

1. foxygrandma

foxygrandma Private E-2

For the past few days whenever I try to install a program I get error messages. I tried to install Firebox browser and am getting: Unable to connect Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.mozilla.com. # The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.

# If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

# If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web. (tried this as getting so many error messages in IE 8.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

And when trying to install something will frequently get a message saying not a win32 application. Adobe flash will not install for the life of me. With these problems I have done the following to try to correct: I uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Flash at least six times and that did no good I went to regedit and deleted all Adobe (after I had deleted from Add/Remove), rebooted and tried to reinstall but no good. Ran a check for errors, did a system restore and neither helped.

In the Windows C: system 32 there are a lot of folders in there. I have Windows Vista Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 2 (build 6002), so I do not understand about this Win 32 folders.

I am using Avast antivirus, and several antispyware and scan regularly.

Does anyone have any ideas of what is wrong? Somewhere along the line I have goofed to cause this. I do install a lot of programs.

Was not sure where to put the below computer information as had Windows XP when I first started asking questions in here.:-o

Operating System System Model
    Windows Vista Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 2 (build 6002)
    Install Language: English (United States)
    System Locale: English (United States) Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 1
    Enclosure Type: Notebook
    Processor a Main Circuit Board b
    2.20 gigahertz AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded Board: Compal 30FC 01.99
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.48 06/17/2009
    Drives Memory Modules c,d
    500.10 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    421.18 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

2. celeriac

celeriac Guest

These issues - not being able to connect to the internet with Firefox after install, and the 'not a win32 application' issue - are quite distinct problems.
    The first one is 99.99% down to a Firewall blocking the newly installed Fiirefox from connecting to the internet, but, all the possible causes are discussed here:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website

3. foxygrandma

foxygrandma Private E-2

Thank you. Uh, Oh, do I reply above your message or below it forgot about trying to disble the fifrewall. I did install a new one earlier today which is called Windows 7 firewa.ll. t hasa funny voice and I cannot

4. celeriac

celeriac Guest

You don't disable the FW - you configure it to allow Firefox.exe full access to the Internet.
    Read the guide that I linked you to carefully.

Good luck

5. foxygrandma

foxygrandma Private E-2

Thank you. Uh, Oh, do I reply above your message or below it?

I forgot about trying to disable the firewall. I did install a new one earlier today, which is called Windows 7 firewall. It has a funny voice and I cannot quite make it out. I think it says ONE WAY; anyway, I choose ENABLE ALL all of the time.

Later, when I return, I will try disabling the firewall and see how it works. thanks much.

6. foxygrandma

foxygrandma Private E-2

Celeriac, cannot not find the message I just got from you in my email, Anyway, thanks. When I get back will try to configure the firewall.

7. celeriac

celeriac Guest

I doubt very much whether it is the inbuilt Windows 7 Firewall that is blocking Firefox. If your system is a branded computer (Dell, Acer, HP, Toshiba etc etc) it is almost certain that it came with a pre-installed software (two way) Firewall suhc as McAfee, Norton, Trend Micro etc.
    However, please do what I said two posts ago, and read this guide very carefully and make your way through each possible cause methodically:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Error_loading_any_website
    Let me emphasise: Disabling a FW (any FW) is not the answer to your problem, not only because it is unlikely to resolve it, but because it is not the best or correct way to troubleshoot your problem.

Good luck

8. foxygrandma

foxygrandma Private E-2

Thanks much. Got Firfefox okay now. But have to check into it more as as now I do not care for it.

Anyway, I still cannot get Adobe Flash installed. I tried the system file checker too and that did not help. I read on the Web that someone had installed it on top of one another eight times and it finally worked. Will try that soon as I can.

Tried to get in here yesterday to answer but was unable to for some reason.

9. techsent

techsent Corporal

Hi foxygrandma,

The "not a valid win32 application" error means that the downloaded file has become corrupted and unusable.

You may want to...

Uninstall all firewall programs.

Uninstall the anti-spyware programs except for 2 of them. *make sure the 2 that are left are not set to auto startup when the computer logs into your user account. This will avoid monitoring conflicts with the Avast antivirus program. And, manually invoke the 2 anti-spyware programs when you want to check the laptop for malware infections.

Reboot the laptop.

next, install this comprehensive free firewall http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

Techsent

10. foxygrandma

foxygrandma Private E-2

Thank you, Techie :) Will do now

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds