I need sound driver for Gateway E Series

Discussion in 'Software' started by nopes, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nopes

nopes Private E-2

Hello, i really need help. First i got my desktop computer and it does not have sound driver. When i want to watch a video there is no sound.

I have Gateway E Series , the serial number is 0031550383.

please help me get the drivers.

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

First, how old is this PC, and what is the model number?

Also what operating system do you have, and what version?

3. nopes

nopes Private E-2

thank you for responding, i got my desktop pc from a flee market. * A company was using these computers and now they are selling them. The version is windows xp, & my uncles computer on the control panel- add and remove programs there is this program called soundmax, & on my computer there is no such thing as soundmax.

4. the mekanic

OK, but what is the model number of the E series PC in question?

That is important, because the E isn't used to define older models any longer.

5. nopes

nopes Private E-2

where can i find it out?

6. the mekanic

Look at the front panel, or on the back of the PC. (Model-??????) If it is not physically obvious, go to:

Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware tab, and click on Device Manager.

Read down the list until you see Sound, video, and game controllers.
    In addition, are there any exclamation points with yellow around them?

Click on the "plus" sign, and let us know what type of sound Device you have.

Also, while you have System Properties open, what kind of processor does it have, and how much memory is installed?

This may help to pin things down if you can't come up with the model number.

7. nopes

nopes Private E-2

let me try this , and i will tell you , just give me 5 minutes

8. nopes

nopes Private E-2

This is all i have on sound...

. Audio codecs
    Legacy audio drivers
    legacy video capture device
    Media control device
    video codecs.

i think there should be 7 , including USB audio device and SoundMAX Integrated Digital audio. what do you think

9. nopes

nopes Private E-2

System Information:
    Microsoft windows xp.
    Professional version
    2002 ,
    service pack 3
    --------------------
    bunch of numbers

----------------
    Intel(R)
    4cpu , 2.40 ghz
    2.40 ghz 512 mb of ram

---------
    i think the name of the pc is . Gateway E Series . i dont see any numbers

10. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Went to the Gateway website and punched in your serial number.
    Turns out that Gateway was purchased by MPC Corp. Could not get anything from there.

11. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

12. the mekanic

Gateway's service department was purchased by an outside contractor, so I'll have to ask if it has a service tag. That will be a tag with a bar code, and numbers/letters. This was a corporate purchase originally, so we'll have to see how willing support is to lend a hand.

13. nopes

nopes Private E-2

so what do you exactly suggest me to do ?

14. the mekanic

You need to contact mpc with your serial number, using the page hrlow posted. I haven't been able to get mpc's page to display in my browser, but I am using Windows 7 at the moment (the joys of Beta testing). Enter your serial number using the link, and see if you can get in touch with this new service company. In the meantime, I'll see if I can figure out your model by trial and error, but it wouldn't be a 100% positive ID.

There should be more than those headers under your sound specs in Device manager, and once we know exactly what you have, it will be much easier to install the proper driver for your sound.

P.S. I need to know are there any exclamation points when you look at at Device Manager?

Another question. Do you see a name such as:

Snakehead?
    Nina?
    Hornet?
    Pinta?
    Aegis?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  15. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Tried the MPC site just now. Got an Error message that could not connect to remote server. (And that is to their support section).

16. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I have had issues with Gateway and drivers in the past. What I had to do was download something like SIW http://majorgeeks.com/download4387.html And identify the hardware and get in from the people that made the device. So if the device was made by Intel, I would get the driver from Intel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds