Internet Explorer - Search Provider Default problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jennmomof3, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jennmomof3

jennmomof3 Private First Class

On my laptop, whenever I open Internet Explorer 8... I get this message:

"A program on your computer has corrupted your default search provider setting for Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer has reset this setting to your original search provider, Google (www.google.com). Internet Explorer will now open Search Settings, where you can change this setting or install more search providers."

When I click the OK button, my "Manage Add-ons" page comes up. On the left hand side, it has add-ons types, under that, they have "Search Providers" highlighted. Next to that, it looks something like this:

Name Status Listing order Search suggestions

Google 1 Not available
    Google Default 2 Enabled
    Myspace.com 3 Not available

I have NO idea what to do here, help me please?????
    My next step is going to be deleting everything off of the laptop, when I do this, can I delete Internet Explorer? Or should I install Firefox first then delete IE? This laptop has gotten extremely slow. And I just want the very basics on it. It is going to be used for a construction business. Oh, I dont think I started having this problem until after IE8 was installed.

Thank you so much for your help.

2. Debbilou

Debbilou Private E-2

I have this problem also, I would be glad to hear any ideas on how to stop getting that message every time I launch IE8.
    Thanks!

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

just guessing here, but maybe those settings have to be reset, since it's internet explorer 8...maybe they were just there from ie7?
    i would just remove them from the list. and while you're at it, remove or update any toolbars (google, or yahoo, etc) that might be installed as well.

4. jennmomof3

thanks, but honestly, as far as updating, removing and stuff, I don't know what I'm doing in there! :-o

5. Johnmac56

Johnmac56 Private E-2

This solution worked for my computer and alos fixed a password issue I was having with Outlook 2003. Since this solution does make changes to your registry file, use it at your own risk....

1.Make sure IE 8 is closed then navigate to registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    2.Add a new “Expandable String value” inside the above mentioned key with a value name of “AppData” and a value data of “%USERPROFILE%\Application Data”.
    3.Reopen IE 8 and see if you still get the error message.

6. jennmomof3

Thanks, I don't know much about going into the registry and changing things, my luck I'd screw it all up!

7. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

go back to that list of search providers, and delete the 1st google entry and the myspace one. keep the 2nd entry. you might have to right click on them then select remove/delete

( i apologize, i don't have ie 7 or 8 to check and see how it's done, i'm on a work computer and a limited user account using firefox. )

8. Debbilou

Debbilou Private E-2

I just tried this one, I'll let you know how it works. If not I may get brave and try the registry change. Thanks for the replies!

9. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

i just checked on ie8, you can go to tools/internet options. theres a button that says change search defaults, and it brings up a list. Right-click the 1st google and select remove, then right-click myspace, and click remove. should leave you with just the default google one. fyi, it won't let you remove the one that is set to default.

10. Debbilou

Debbilou Private E-2

Well rats, I only have the one Google now but I still get the same popup every time I open IE8.

11. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Seems like there are a lot of people having problems with ie8. id uninstall ie8 if i were you and go back to 7 or even download firefox...

12. Debbilou

Debbilou Private E-2

Yeah, I would go back to 7 but I use an intranet for my work from home job and in order to get to some of the sites I had to go to IE8. Thanks!

13. stevestrib

stevestrib Private E-2

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  14. Geminiione

Geminiione Private First Class

have tried to reinstall ie 8?

15. dtheb

dtheb Private E-2

Found what appears to be working for me so far at this site:

http://foundsolutionz.blogspot.com/index.html#uds-search-results

PROBLEM #5
    An error after opening internet explorer 8: "A program on your computer has corrupted IE8 default search provider settings. IE8 will reset the search provider setting to default setting of xxx search. IE8 will open the search provider dialog where you can change your search provider".

For the above error follow the below steps:
    1. Click Start. 2. Click Run. 3. Type in regedit and press enter. 4. In the registry editor, expand and navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders. 5. Right click User Shell Folders. 6. Select New and then Expandable String value. 7. A new value is added in right pane. 8. Type in AppData and press enter. 9. Double click AppData. 10. Under value data type in:

%USERPROFILE%\Application Data

11. Note: If there is already AppData in the right pane, double click and correct it to %USERPROFILE%\Application Data

If the above steps do not work,
    1. Click Start. 2. Click Control Panel. 3. Click User Accounts. 4. Click Create a new user account. 5. Choose appropirate name for the new user account. 5. Choose Administrator or Limited or Standard user. It's upto you. 6. Click Create. 7. Click Start, Log out from the current user account and log back in with the new one. 8. If the new user account is working for you, obviously, the old user account has got corrupted and you will have to use the new user account. Also, FYI: you can transfer old user settings and files to the new user account.

16. protak

protak Private E-2

Thanks for info ..
    As far as reg settings already had them present as described so next step

i was able to determine this is only happennig on 1 of my 4 users so looks like it has corrupted that user as you suggested

If creating a new user how do you transfer all things from current user ?
    Also how do you ensure you do not copy over the corruption to new user?

17. stevestrib

stevestrib Private E-2

An easy way to solve many browser problems is to go to Tools-Internet Options and click the Advanced tab. At the bottom there is the option of resetting Internet Explorer to default settings. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds