mouse wont work in safe mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shotgun3131, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Shotgun3131

Shotgun3131 Private E-2

HI,

Ive got a strange problem.

System: P4 2.0 GHZ,
    512 MB RAM
    Windows XP pro

Mouse: Logitech mouse that came with dell computer (corded optical)

Problem: Mouse works perfectly fine in normal windows operation, but if you try to get into safe mode with networking the mouse will not work. You cant even click on a user name to get off the splash screen at the beginning. If you restart in normal mode of windows it will again work fine.

I tried updating the driver and it didnt need it, I also tried another mouse and that didnt work either.

Thanks......

Oh and yes I did do a search of the internet and couldnt find much on this other than update the driver which I did.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Try removing the Logitech software.

I don't believe the older version work in Safe Mode.

3. pegg

pegg MajorGeek

What do you mean? I have this too -- if you remove the "software" -- the mouse still works?

4. Shotgun3131

Shotgun3131 Private E-2

Well I tried to uninstall the drivers and that just led to me not being able to use the mouse at all. ( thought that would happen )

I also tried to install logitechs software, and that didnt work either.

Also I tried using another mouse (an old microsoft one that still works on other computers)

It just seems to die as the computer is loading up safe mode- the light for the optical just shuts off.

I really have no idea.

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I'm finding it hard to understand any of this.

When you start in Safe Mode, you should be able to use your mouse using the standard Windows mouse driver.

That's all it loads by default, the minimal drivers required for basic function.

In fact, you can just use the standard Windows mouse drivers instead of the Logitech drivers and it should work, albeit with less features, but certainly all the vital ones.

Do you only have the one unit displayed in Device Manager, and is it listed as functioning correctly with the correct driver details?

You could also try manually installing the mouse, but using standard Windows mouse drivers, and as a last resort, enable boot logging to see what drivers are being loaded, then read your "Ntbtlog.txt" file.

6. Shotgun3131

Shotgun3131 Private E-2

Yeah its hard for me to understand also...........

The drivers it is running on currently are the ones provided from microsoft:

mouclass.sys
    mouhid.sys

It is listed as working properly and it is the only one there.

Ill try that bootlogging thing and see what that turns up.

Thanks for the help

7. Shotgun3131

Shotgun3131 Private E-2

Well I played around a little bit and determined that the only configuration that the mouse wont work in is safe mode with networking support.

It appears to work fine in normal safe mode.

I am still confused though.

8. odiear3rd

odiear3rd Corporal

BUMP!! ?????????? ODIE :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds