System freezing briefly, randomly, and often

Discussion in 'Software' started by chadwilson7, Aug 16, 2006.

1. chadwilson7

chadwilson7 Private E-2

I have an HP Media Center PC m1170n.
    XP Media Center SP2
    Pentium 4
    3.00 GHz
    3.12 mb Ram

It freezes often for only about 15 or 20 seconds and then continues. The freezing never results in a reboot.

It is usually just annoying until I'm capturing video and it causes a big gap in the footage.

I've searched but haven't found anyone with a smilar problem.

I've run all the suggested malware procedures and everything appears to be clean but the issue is still there.

Please let me know where to start.

Thanks.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

When does this happen ...with what programs running?
    Go to control panel / admin tools / event viewer / and look for errors in system and applications .....usually a link for info ...tell us what you find.

3. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

Same thing has been happening to me recently also!

Even when their is nothing running in the background and I`ve double checked all is closed off, even the mouse stops responding for a short period, and the sound freezes on the exact tone it froze on, then comes back to normal, and repeats this process until I restart my system.....

Has been happening since I did a Windows Update I think, maybe we have something incommon in software, or maybe what were doing?

Do you use a bit torrent program, say BitComet or Azuriaus

4. chadwilson7

chadwilson7 Private E-2

No, I don't have any of those programs but that almost describes my problem perfectly. Sound stops on the last tone, etc. The only difference is that it may happen once and not happen again for a while. I've never noticed havning to restart to fix it. I just wait and then carry on.

5. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

Mine doesn't happen frequently, say 3 or 4 times in the last week for me!

Very strange, can you list all your system information? System Specs (CPU, Video, even PSU, all EXACT specifications, aka 3GHz or 3.06GHz? etc) and All relevant driver versions you are utilizing?

Also, as an extra measure, can you list ALL your installed software, whatever it is!

I`ll go through it, their has to be a link between us that we can pinpoint, then rectify the problem for us both.

6. chadwilson7

chadwilson7 Private E-2

Ok, I put the specs in Notepad because they were lengthy...

Attached Files:

7. TimW

I'm taking a guess here (it's only a guess ...if this was a real ....oh, nevermind)
    Wondering if its a connection between zone labs and aol .....did you find anything in the event viewer?

8. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

OK, I noticed that we have the same card reader, and a few things installed the same, in particular, java...

ok, now to disable the card reader and de-install java, I reckon it may well be one of them...

I was also getting a memory error at one stage with IE, that hasn't happened for a while now though, touch wood...

About 20 minutes ago IE locked up, and froze my PC, I could move the mouse though, but I couldnt move or touch anything onscreen, I hit CTRL - ALT - DEL to bring up the manager, it popped up but I couldnt click anything, it was like the buttons on the mouse were broke...

This is peeving me off!

9. TimW

10. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

He has AVG running and I have Avast running, updated 1 hour ago with latest definitions!

No need to virus scan?

11. chadwilson7

chadwilson7 Private E-2

Nothing in event viewer for Zone Labs. The freezing has been going on since long before I ever installed Zone Alarm.

I did run a Panda Scan last week that was clean. Should I do it again?

So do you want me to uninstall Java and disable the card reader?

12. TimW

13. theefool

theefool Geekified

Did the freeze issues happen right after the latest windows updates?

I know there is an http 1.1 bug that will be fixed on Aug 22nd.

14. EXOX3

EXOX3 Staff Sergeant

Basically yes I think mine did, can you help me find symptoms for this bug to see if freezing XP is one?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds