No phone

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Calltaker, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

This kinda sucks. I signed up for digital phone since Time Warner was offering the $99.95/month deal for phone, roadrunner and digital cable. I figured it out, and I am going to end up saving almost $60 a month since I was cancelling service on my cell (contract just expired) THing is, They already cancelled my cell, but my phone isn't getting installed till THursday. I hate not having a phone :(

Ah wel, at least I still have the net :)

~C

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Well if you really have to use the phone go to your neighbor or use a pay phone :D

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I'm thinking I'm just not very observant, but are there still pay phones around? I'm not sure I notice any anymore.

Yuck on the no phone thing. I'm pretty sure I'd be going crazy.

4. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

I live in the GHETTO. The only pay phones are the broken ones. On the good side of things, I found a free VOIP deal on the 'net (free to most locations) at www.voipbuster.com

They have a list of what areas it is good in (country-wise) and the audio quality is pretty decent. Works for me for now, I can call, I just don't know about receiving calls yet... have to look into that. :)

~C

5. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

Isn't it funny how we have become so reliant on our cell phones in such a short time. I remember borrowing a brick not all that long ago (well 10 yrs maybe) to go apt hunting in LA area while Dan was working on the World Port. Thought that was pretty hot being able to sit in front of the building and tell the owners, 'I'm already here, out front".
    Now I panic if I forget it, what if I break down, what if I can't breath, I'll make up what ifs, if I run out. rolleyes Thats how I roll ;)

I was thinking the same as Laura about pay phones, are they still around, and wonder what they cost now too.?

6. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

There's still pay phones around, just not so many, and about half work. I am honestly looking forward to not carrying a cell everywhere. My son is old enough that I don't ahve to worry about the little one being sick any more, and everyone has all my numbers that needs them. I will still keep the old cell int he car in case of emergency (all cells need to be able to dial 911, even without activation) but other wise, I am already enjoying my trips more :)

~C

7. N5638J

N5638J Guest

You would think but everyone of my old cell phones i got will not call 911 they always say were sorry but we are unable to connect your call. hell when our landline is cut off we can't call 911 on it too. when i thought it was the law that even if your phone has been disconnected you should still be able to call 911:confused (I have alot of old cell phones that were given to me but i never bought and used a cell phone before)

8. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Sometimes I think I could live quiet happily without a phone. That is, until I'm out for the day and realise just how much communication goes through it in a day while I'm out (calls recorded, and all that jazz).

9. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

they're supposed to, one of our did a while back, thats strange, it's supposed to connect through any service company

10. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

One more day!!! By noon tomorrow (EDT of course) I will be calling people once again :)

Almost there :)

~C

11. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

It seems that the public's perception of what the "law" requires and what is actually the case, must be the result of misinformation not being corrected by the "Phone Companies" or by Government Watchdog Agencies. If your service is disconnected, due to non-payment, then your 911 service will still be available on that particular land-line. If your service is disconnected at your request(moving), then the 911 service will continue for that land-line only until your phone number is enabled at your new address. If you are moving out of the service area code, then the line will continue to be connected to the 911 network until the phone number is re-used by the phone company for another client. Cell phones follow the same rules. Only non-payment service cuts, maintain the 911 service. All other terminations, also terminate the 911 service as soon as your assigned cell phone reverts to the unused number pool. If you are a VoIP phone user, it's an even sketchier situation. 911 calls are only available to you, if you have a billing address that is also a residence. Any other situations, including non-payment of bills will leave you without 911 service. There may be regional exceptions. For instance, a rural area that has low population turnover, may not re-use the phone number for a long time and in a case like that, as long as there is a dial-tone on that line, then you'd still be able to get a 911 call through. The bottom line: The E911 service uses data-bases provided by the phone companies, that links a phone number to billing address. A new added feature: the cell phone companies are now also making cell phone GPS information available to E911, per official request.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds