In-laws' desktop not waking from Sleep/Hibernate/PowerSave (not sure which)

Discussion in 'Software' started by shooter, Dec 25, 2011.

1. shooter

shooter Private First Class

I found this recent thread, but didn't know whether protocol was to hijack his thread or create a new one...

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=249844

Anyway, it's a Dell XPS 410 running Windows Vista.

The only way to power it off (for certain) was to use the Power button to put it to Sleep or into Hibernation, and then unplug it at the back of the tower.

Of course, then when it came back on, black screen says "Windows wasn't properly shut down," blah blah blah.

I worked on it last night, and changed some settings in the default Power Scheme.

I didn't know how putting hard drive to sleep after so many minutes compared to putting the actual computer/OS to sleep or into Hibernate mode, so I set hdd to never sleep (as well as changing the "Power" button on the front of the machine from either Sleep or Hibernate to Power On/Off), hoping that'd take care of it. No dice.

When I press the Power button now (either regular press, or holding it down for 10-20 secs), it still behaves like Sleep or Hibernate.

Tinkering around with 1-3 settings at a time hasn't helped, so no more Mr. Nice Guy. I'm all prepared to set it all to never Sleep/Hibernate, and go from there, I suppose... turning one thing *on* at a time, until we find the culprit.

However, this morning, I can't even get it to come on all the way (i.e. where I can see the Desktop, and type).

The monitor light is amber. When I press the Power button on the monitor, it turns blue for about 15 seconds and says:
    When I press another button, it says:
    However, none of those things work to wake it from Sleep/Hibernation. :-(

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Seems your not getting any output to the monitor at all (independent of Windows/Vista). You should be getting at least a BIOS screen.

When you power on watch the keyboard and front panel lights. Do all three lights on the keyboard blink then a few seconds later go to just the Num Lock button lit? On the front of the computer you have two lights one is power which will be steady and the other is hard drive activity--is the HD activity light flashing for about 45 seconds or is it much less time?

3. shooter

Hard-powered it down, unplugged the power cord, let it set for 30 mins, discharged any latent power by holding down the power button for 30 secs, then let it sit for 10 more mins before plugging it back in and firing it up.
    Nope...

Nope.

That is what I end up with, though...

Much less. That's what was making me think it was coming out of Sleep/Hibernate, instead of doing a full boot.

(Also, I'm out in the boonies here... no access to a second monitor, or even a DVI cable. When I unplug the VGA cable from the back of the tower, the monitor behaves as it should.)

4. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Have you tried reseating the RAM?

5. shooter

I hadn't even thought of it, to be perfectly honest...

It sounds easy enough, and fairly self-explanatory, but is there a tutorial here for it?

ETA: Also, for whatever it may or may not be worth, I ran the Dell Support Center diag last night, and it said the hard drive was fine.

6. sach2

This video shows reseating memory http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxNPBQBfT8&feature=related If you don't want to reseat the RAM, you can hold off for a minute and try resetting CMOS. Or do it at the same time as reseating the RAM.

Re-reading that monitor message it does seem like the monitor is recognizing video input but is going into power saving mode.

My goal would be to get a DELL/BIOS screen. I know you unplugged and held the power button for 20 seconds but I would unplug and remove the CMOS battery (small quarter shaped coin battery on the motherboard) for a minute then put it back and plug in AC and see if it boots.

7. shooter

Following the instructions in the above video, I reseated the RAM.

That alone didn't work, so I started over and the second time pulled the RAM, CMOS battery, and video card.

(your video showed how to do 2 of the 3)

I did it this way the second time around, using this video to show me how to reset the CMOS... battery, that is:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdp_L5IxaNI

I didn't see a CMOS jumper like what was mentioned in the video, so I just did it with the battery.

I don't have a second monitor, but I hooked this monitor up to my laptop and it recognized my laptop's output quickly and easily... which tells me it's probably not the monitor.

I unplugged/removed the CMOS battery the second time around (at the same time as both memory sticks and the video card). Didnt' help.

One thing that I did notice (and was interesting) is that, as soon as I hooked the AC power cord up to the back of the computer (and plugged it into the power strip), the PC immediately and automatically roared to life (mostly the fan, but the power button on the front was a solid green).

Also, on the same strip/panel where the hdd indicator light is located, there are numbers 1-4. Before the second time around (when I pulled the RAM sticks, CMOS battery, and video card), lights 2-4 were lit. Now lights 1-3 are lit. I have no idea what these are, or why they're lit. I also am no longer getting hdd activity from the indicator light on the front.

One more thing: I also noticed that there was a solid amber light glowing on the motherboard. Not sure what this is, but I thought I'd mention it.

Since none of the above worked, I'm probably going to try using the in-laws' 32" Vizio TV as a monitor for the desktop and see if anything shows up.

ETA: I found the following YouTube videos that might help people who find this thread in the future:

Reseating your RAM, Video Card, and Hard Drive
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxNPBQBfT8

Troubleshooting No Image On Monitor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM91isSsVBE

PC repair for DUMMIES - No signal to monitor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDS8s2zEmew

How To Reset CMOS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdp_L5IxaNI

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  8. shooter

9. sach2

These are your diagnostic codes.

It looks like 1-3 is a memory configuration problem and 2-4 is a video card problem.

Your memory is obviously compatible so double check that it is fully seated. If you can't get rid of the 1-3 lights try it with just one RAM module. See if that changes the lights. Or one RAM module in a different slot. I'd like to see that 1-3 RAM error go away.

I'll look for more threads relating to the problem. The guy in the first thread you linked to tried just about everything I can think of for diagnosis. Maybe disconnect the HD cables to make sure it isn't Vista telling the PC to go into power saving mode but I don't see how it can be, when you cut power to PC it should have gone into the DELL/BIOS screen no matter what.

10. shooter

Whoah... thanks for that! Of course, now that I know how to decode them I'm not getting any diagnostic lights. :confused

Even better (from the same link) is discussion of "beep codes." I was not familiar with those, either. I got some of these "beep codes" a day or so ago, but didn't know enough about them to write them down, or even associate them with anything meaningful/useful at the time. :(

On a somewhat-related note, I wish there was some way I could force this thing to reboot (or, even better, into Safe Mode) without seeing the screen.

I'm not familiar enough with Vista, but I remember when we ran XP on our work computers my monitor went out once or twice, and I was familiar enough with the shortcut keys that I could hit "Window>U>R" (Window, "U" to bring up the "shUt down" menu, then "R" for Restart") to 'force' a reboot when I couldn't see anything on the screen.

I know that functionality is lost with Win7, but think it started with Vista.

11. sach2

I have read dozens of threads (the dimension 9200 is apparently the same machine so using that model increases hits) the main difference with your case being that most others can get the computer to boot by holding the power button in or at worst unplugging and holding the power button.

I can't see how any change in power settings within Vista could carry over through a CMOS reset. It just doesn't seem possible. I would reset the CMOS again and see if you get any activity.

You might also try booting with no memory/RAM to see if you get beep codes.

By the way are using a VGA or DVI connection for the monitor, I want to make sure it is VGA but am fairly sure it is. http://muchomodding.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/vga_dvi_card.jpg

On the Reboot shortcut, I have Win7 and haven't figured it out. I know someone has found a fix but haven't really looked. Unfortunately, we can't even get to a BIOS screen.

12. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I know this is sort of a cludge way of restarting without a screen and I am not sure if it will work for Vista. Press the Windows key + R. This will bring up the Run box even though you will not see it. Then type:

shutdown -r

Edit: for Vista it may be shutdown /r

This will cause the computer to shutdown and restart.

13. shooter

I don't know if there's any difference between resetting the CMOS jumper and resetting the CMOS battery... but I was never able to locate the jumper. I did it with the battery.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I removed both memory modules.

Upon booting, I heard six "long" beep codes (which I did not see listed), and the light pattern was "Light1 green, Lights2-4 dim" (consistent with "No memory modules are detected").

I then reinstalled the "top" memory module and booted it back up.

Two "quick" beeps (which I also did not see listed), and the light pattern was "Lights 1-3 green, Light4 dim" (consistent with "Another failure has occurred").

I then reinstalled the "bottom" memory module and booted it back up.

Two "quick" beeps (which I also did not see listed), and the light pattern was "Lights 1-3 green, Light4 dim" (consistent with "Another failure has occurred").

Should I try it without the "top" memory module?

Also, the modules were in the slots with the "white" clips. Should I try moving either (or both) of them to the slots with the "black" clips?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    VGA. I wish I had been able to find (and test it with) a DVI cable, but no dice.

14. shooter

Took pictures of this, as well:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This did not work. Also, I pulled an old [Dell] CRT monitor out of storage, and it didn't work, either. Both work with my laptop... just not with the desktop in question as a video source.

15. shooter

Hard-powered down the computer, pulled the AC plug, the VGA cable, the audio cable, and the USB cables for the keyboard and mouse. Waited for the amber mobo light to fade out.

Then I held the power button down for 30 seconds. Then I pulled the CMOS battery. Then I held the power button down for 30 seconds again. Then I let it sit for 30 minutes.

Then I put the CMOS battery back in, and started hooking the stuff back up to the rear of the case. I plugged the AC cable back in, and after about 10 seconds, the computer roared/whirred back to life!

On its own. I never pushed the Power button!

And it wasn't just the fan. I had the hdd activity light.

I then got two short beep codes ("beep, beep"). Again, not corresponding to anything on the beep codes list. Now Lights1-3 are again lit, and Light4 is dim.

16. shooter

Didn't work, so I hard-powered it down and tried this...

Unfortunately, it didn't work, either. :(

17. sach2

Try it with just one RAM model in the slot closest to the middle of the board. If it doesn't change the lights then try the other module in the same slot.

Have you read anything indicating that the single light on the motherboard has more than one color ie. green and amber? It seems unusual that amber would be the normal color for a DELL. I'm thinking it could mean something.

I had seen a diagram for that motherboard and the CMOS jumper is unusually far away from the battery. I don't see it in your diagram but there are two sets of two pins. One for password reset and one for CMOS reset. Only one jumper on the password pins. I don't think it really matters because removing the battery is essentially the same thing and seems to work.

Here it is. The jumpers are 8 and 9. [​IMG] Scroll down: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps410/en/SM_EN/parts.htm

18. tgell

Okay,
    I found it for Windows 7 (shutdown dialog box). Not sure if this will work for Vista. At the desktop press.

Alt+F4 then press the tab button once to highlight Okay. Then enter.

19. shooter

OK, so I pulled the RAM module in the "top" white slot, leaving only the one in the "bottom" white slot, closest to the middle of the board, and noticed two things:
    1. For the first time in a couple of days, the computer didn't spring immediately/automatically to life after plugging the AC cord into the back. I actually had to power it on manually with the Power button on front of the tower.
    2. I still got the two quick beeps ("beep, beep"), and Lights1-3 were still lit, with Light4 still dim.

Since it didn't change the lights, I tried the other module in the same slot:
    1. The computer still didn't spring immediately/automatically to life after plugging the AC cord into the back. I actually had to power it on manually with the Power button on front of the tower.
    2. I didn't get the beep codes, and Lights1-4 were dim (i.e. no lights were on).
    Not really sure what this means, though. I think it's an improvement? :-o

I have read "things" on the Internets suggesting an amber light on the mobo was bad, but the only things I've seen specifically referencing the Dell mobos is that it is an auxiliary power light.

Per the Service Manual for the XPS 410:

Standby power light = AUXPWR on the system board​

Per the Service Manual for the XPS 410:

Clearing CMOS Settings

CAUTION: Before you perform any of the procedures in this section, follow the safety instructions in the Product Information Guide.
    Follow the procedures in Before Working Inside Your Computer.

Reset the current CMOS settings:

Locate the 2-pin CMOS jumper (CLRCMOS) on the system board (see System Board Components).

NOTE: When you receive your computer, there is no jumper plug on the CMOS jumper.
    Remove the jumper plug from the password jumper (CLRPSWD) pins 1 and 2.

Place the jumper plug on the CMOS jumper (CLRCMOS) pins 1 and 2 and wait approximately five seconds.

Remove the jumper plug and replace it on the password jumper (CLRPSWD) pins 1 and 2.

Replace the computer cover (see Replacing the Computer Cover).

NOTICE: To connect a network cable, first plug the cable into the network wall jack and then plug it into the computer.
    Connect your computer and devices to electrical outlets, and then turn them on.​
    I did this, and plugged everything back into the back of the computer.

As soon as I plugged the AC power cord into the receptacle, the computer... immediately/automatically roared back to life.

No beep codes, but Lights1-3 are lit again. [edit: I hard-powered down, then booted back up in this same configuration. no beeps, no lights]

At this point, I don't really know what to do. :confused

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  20. shooter

Gah! Didn't work for me, in Vista. :cry

21. tgell

22. sach2

I'll re-read everything again and post back in a couple of hours. I'm wondering if it is a video card failure? I just don't know how to verify. Are you getting the power saving mode message each time during these various boot ups? I'm asking because I believe the two beeps are the standard Dell message that your BIOS configuration has changed. Normal would be one beep when you start your computer and it is two beeps for a change to hardware. The two beeps would usually be accompanied by a message about the change and a prompt to hit F1 or F2 to enter setup. If that was the case then the question is why aren't you seeing the Dell screen? When you hear the two beeps is the monitor already giving the power save message?

Maybe, to rule out Vista being active you should disconnect the SATA cables from the board. So try with the one stick of RAM that gives no lights and the SATA cables disconnected. (I'm guessing the HD is SATA and the CD is IDE)

Edit: One more question was the message on the old CRT monitor the same about power saving? I just want to make sure you are always seeing some message on screen. And take a look at your Video card for a model number. I'd like to google it and see it it is mentioned as a possible culprit.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  23. shooter

I can't thank y'all enough for all of the help. Hated to do it, but we had to vacate the premises...

The in-laws were beyond ready for us to GTFO and leave them alone with their grandkids for a week.

My MIL asked me to put everything back together so she can take it to the local computer repair guy when they go into town in a few days.

I'm one of those people who can't stand to not know how things turn out, so this is especially hard for me. :)

24. sach2

That's cool, I was anticipating that scenario.

Yea, this one is driving me crazy and I am not even there. Clearing CMOS should get you to a Dell screen. It just has to. Essentially, it erases all the information about hardware from the computers memory. So it has to take stock and find each component, CPU, memory, keyboard, video etc. It can't possibly just take hibernation instructions from a HD it doesn't even know is there yet.

My guess is the graphics card is causing all the problems. Whether or not it was Vista power saving that caused the problem or a quirk of the motherboard probably won't be answered. The computer shop can at least swap out video cards and see if that makes things clearer.

There was a BIOS update that addressed that PC waking from S3 sleep. Maybe if it was an earlier BIOS it could be one reason as well. Although, many threads I read had already gotten the update and still had the problem.

We'll just have to wait and see what the diagnosis is. Please post back if you get any kind of definitive answer.

25. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

To me it looks like there is one bulging capacitor on the motherboard. In which case the motherboard is bad.

I attached a screenshot for review.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds