Replacing my hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kurokage, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Kurokage

Kurokage Private E-2

Hi, my old hard drive failed, and I have to replace it. I don't really know if there's anything special I should do. My friends said its really easy, but there are all these different types of hard drives, and I dont want to waste money by buying the wrong type or size or something. Is there anything special I should know?

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

you need to know which type of harddrive your computer will support...

try Everest http://www.majorgeeks.com/EVEREST_Free_Edition_d4181.html
    to get some info on what your computer is and what type of hard drive(s) you currently have.

if you cant use that on your computer (you said your hard drive failed) then you need to post what model/make your computer is, or, what make/model your motherboard is, or what the old hard drive is (was)

3. Kurokage

Kurokage Private E-2

I went online, and the support site for my computer says that IDE drives are most compatible. Does that mean any IDE drives? or only specific ones

edit: nevermind, they weren't being model specific, they just meant in general.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds