Replacing Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paladins4, Jan 31, 2009.

1. paladins4

paladins4 Private E-2

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 C that I had to remove the hard drive on. I would like to install a new one, but have no clue on what to install, could one of you please advise. If you need further info....I am watching thread. Thanks for your help:cry

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

From looking at your computer specs, I would think that you would need a SATA drive. :)

3. paladins4

paladins4 Private E-2

I was just reviewing the available drives and Sata seems to be the one Dell recommends. Is there any way to determine why it would no longer boot up? Could there be something else wrong that would require replacing like say...the motherboard? (one of the suggestions from a local guy I asked)

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

A more detailed explanation of your problem would be helpful as to why you are replacing the hard drive and what led you to believe that it was necessary. :)

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

A hard drive being mechanical and always changing with what`s on there, the hard drive would always be the first place to look. Have you run a diagnostic on it to make sure that the drive really is bad or is just gummed up and needs a restore though thereby wiping everything on it. I`m not familiar with Dell except for one laptop that we own, they might have a bootable diagnostic that could check the proper functioning of the drive itself.

6. paladins4

paladins4 Private E-2

I think the power went out....who knows, but when I attempted to boot up the computer a couple weeks ago it would not boot up, and was making a humming noise, as though it was attempting to boot, but not quite reaching. I had someone check it out and they removed the drive and see if they could boot it up on an external drive, did not work. Presently its being restored to an external drive by a drive restoration company (460.00). If the new external drive they provide upon restoring the information will work then I am delighted.
    But now I have a computer that has no hard drive, which is absolutely useless to me, but if I can install a new hard drive and maybe just the motherboard, then I could let the secretary use it for doing the billing and taxes only.... if its to expensive to repair, I'll just purchase another one.
    Thats about all the information I have...I do not know the reason or whyy's it quit running

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hmm, a business eh? It`s too late now for you but you should consider implementing a backup regime be it on discs or pay for an online backup service. You want these things off site so if worse comes to pass you'll still have your data.

I don't know much about current back up solutions so someone else will have to help you, start a new thread to get the most opinions and experiences as possible. You need a safe and secure backup and I don't mean an external drive either as those can fail just as easily.

Good luck.

8. paladins4

paladins4 Private E-2

Yeah, I have been warned for a number of years...didn't listen...superman syndrome... now I have a back up system in place and will use it religiously...believe me. Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds