Vista configuring updates - startup repair -reboot, looping forever

Discussion in 'Software' started by MarieL, Mar 28, 2009.

1. MarieL

MarieL Private E-2

I am working on a friends Dell Inspiron running Vista. When its powered on it goes in to "configuring updates 1 of 3" it goes through to 100% reboots then Startup Repair begins, then it reboots back to the configuring updates and continues the loop over and over. They said it did it for 8 hours one night.
    When I tried F8 there was not a good configuration option.
    I have tried both safe mode and command prompt, both result in the same looping cycle.

I have tried to search out an answer but I haven't seemed to find 2 solutions that are the same so I am leery to try any of them.

I found this thread here but it wasn't answered so I started a current one instead of bumping.
    Endless Vista reboot / Looping cycle step 3 of 3 100% complete

He couldn't find his Vista disk and all I have is an XP (dell) disk.

From what I did find I thought this was a result of an update in Feb 09.

Thanks
    M

2. MarieL

MarieL Private E-2

I can get to c prompt using Hiren's boot disk although I am lost as what to do.

Will have dell send a new vista disk and hope there is something to help there.
    Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds