Setting Up Security Question?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JillK, Aug 13, 2006.

1. JillK

JillK Private E-2

Hi,
    Thank again for any help. I want to set up the security settings for my NetGear Router. The router is installed on my desk top wired PC so I only need from what I understand is to go to the settings in NetGear and put in the information for the wireless laptop so that will be the only other computer to have access thur the router. My question is where do I locate the MAC or Computer MAC address on the laptop to add to the settings?

Jill

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

In XP, go Start -> Run. Type in cmd and hit Enter. Command prompt window opens. At prompt type ipconfig /all. You will see descriptions of your wired and wireless adapters along with their MAC addresses, a/k/a Physical Address.

3. JillK

JillK Private E-2

Hi Doug,
    Thanks so much for your help :)

Jill

4. dedub

dedub Corporal

I believe what you are refering to is Mac Filtering. If you enable it you will have to include ALL mac addresses in the list; both wired and wireless. In addition, you want to have your wireless connection encrypted. Look into WPA not WEP, do not broadcast your SSID and disable DHCP and go with static IP's in your network.

Good luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds