You Folks Sure are Quiet.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

The lounge used to be kicking, what happened? Or are you all off reading malware logs and doing computer related things? :-D

I got my 1911 tuned up. Was due for a 5K round tuneup. New mainspring, recoil spring and firing pin spring. I love the YouTube, that sure made work on that gun a breeze.

The 1911 takes some tweaking and such, but like a properly overclocked computer, when it is on, it is on. Range test this weekend. I love having 2 days off a week...

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Since you're the Gun Guru on MG, I have a question:

I have a Ruger Security Six 4" (.357) I purchased new about 25 years ago and an thinking about selling or trading it in favor of a 9mm or .380. I'm going to take the Texas Carry Permit class soon; if I use a revolver for my range exam my CP will be limited to revolvers only.

Condition wise, it's a "10" out of 10. What is the best, unbiased source on the Web to look up its fair market value? One dealer said "around $150"; a friend of mine who is a deputy sheriff said that sounded like a ripoff.

Any ideas?

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

If they are offering you $150, it is worth at least $300 or maybe more. Let me look around. Check with the person who teaches your class, I am OK to carry auto or wheel guns CCL.

Do not sell that gun for $150.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

http://www.gunbroker.com/

get a value there. I might be interested in it. Got pictures?

4. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

<** chirp, chirp **>, (crickets at night).

{Tip toes quietly out of Lounge}

5. cabbiinc

cabbiinc Staff Sergeant

Well, Mr. Fudd told us it's wabbit huntin season and to not make any noise.

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I'm with you Fred, things sure have changed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFEY9RIRJA
    My life is not so exciting so i have nothing to report but i always enjoyed reading the trials and tribulations of our members

7. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

One of my weapons instructors once told me that if you shoot a guy in the shoulder with a 9mm he'll keep on coming, but if you hit him in the shoulder with a .45 it'll tear his damn shoulder off...

Random early-morning thoughts...:major

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Just shoot until the threat is no longer a threat. :cool

I like the 9mm too. :-D

9. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

One of the benefits of living in the UK I suppose,we don't need instructional converations in how to blow someones shoulder off:-D

Its not as much fun though:(

10. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Same thing my dad told me over the weekend.
    If he had someone face him with their palm out and he shot their palm with the .45 it would knock them flat on their back.

Just one more reason I can't wait to get mine soon. :-D

11. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Sorry I haven't been posting. I'm studying for a Microsoft Certification coming up this Friday. WIndows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support technician.

70-685 on Friday and then the 70-680 on APril 26. After that I will be back here to regale you with awesome stories and experiences that I have had as a test pilot with the Space Corps.

Smoke me a kipper...I'll be back for breakfast!

12. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

So If someone put their palm up and said "Please don't shoot me!" Your dad would blow them away:confused

Just messin spock:-D

13. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

14. Spock96

I still want my CCP so I can carry at the range and such.
    I know what you mean--Ex:
    People go get them then they get into an argument next thing you know guns come out and.......
    I think a lot of people who get them, IMHO don't respect the guns for what they can do and that's why we have so many problems with it.

My gun lesson on that subject, was when I was younger. my dad was going to shoot something in the backyard and as soon as he pulled the trigger we all decided to come busting outta the house. Came over to him and he flipped what ever it was over, the whole right side gone and he said something that has stuck with me since" This is what guns do. This is the only thing guns do."

15. Phantom

Weapons have a use and bit of a fascination for me, I'll admit. But, like Glooz, I've also seen the bad side of weapons and explosives, (had the huge displeasure of 'Disposal' being my main job in the army).
    I don't bother with the clubs much anymore, except enough to keep my membership active. Doesn't have to be a firearm to make a mess of someone/something. My 24" combat blade can make more of mess of someone, but not much good for range target, but at close range, you can lose a limb or head in very short order. But would have some very bad side-effects for me if used - like jail.:(
    A lot of people own weapons for the wrong reasons. They think it is tough, scary, cool, etc., or that it will 'solve' arguments. With the power, comes the responsibility, or at least it should, i.m.o.
    Weapons can be used for procuring food, defense, etc., but also for crime. They are neither good nor evil. They simply exist as a tool. The good or bad intent rests with the user.

16. Spock96

I carry a small MTech SWAT knife as my primary carry. That would be the first thing to come out in a situation. Let me be clear not an argument!
    I completely agree and that is what I was trying to convey in my previous post. Thank you for explaining it a lot better than I could have.:)

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

That is a myth. Equal and opposite reaction... If there was that much force, it would knock the shooter on their back as well. :-D

18. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Gloozit, with the huge number of CCL permits that have been issued, there have been very few gun crimes committed by CCL holders. The thing in Florida is undecided, only one person really knows exactly what happened.

Not trying to get HBT, but I think I can say a few things about the subject. Yes, most people who carry concealed or open carry will most likely never need the gun. And all of the people I know who carry, really hope they will never need their gun. I have a spare tire in my car, don't use it very often either, but when you need it, nothing like it. :-D When I went shooting in Texas the other week, several of us gathered around solving the worlds problems and having a few adult beverages. The subject of CCL came up, asked by someone who does not have a permit.

It was universal among all of us that carry a gun, our attitudes change as soon as you strap on a gun. We go way our of our way to avoid situations that my result in a shooting. Heck if I have a gun in my car, I don't even flip off the jerk that pulls out in front of me... :-D

If you don't want to carry a weapon outside of your home, that is certainly your choice. I respect your choice. I could not find a good link to stats on CCL and crimes and crimes committed by CCL holders. I found some by the brady bunch, and some on some CCL websites, but did not see anything that looked like it had unbiased statistics.

But, you can look at it like this. And I can only speak for Louisiana. A CCL license is rather expensive to apply for. $150 (I think I am remembering correctly) non-refundable application fee. 8 hour course, with shooting qualification, $100. Passport photo, cheap, like $10, 2 FBI fingerprint cards, $10 at the local police station. Copies of any court cases your plead or were convicted in. So, if a person has a CCL, you know they are not a felon, and can shoot a gun OK>

I think they should have less classroom time and more gun instruction for the required course, as some people are new to guns when they apply for their CCL. The qualifications to own a gun are much less lenient.

I carry a gun, because a cop is just too dang heavy. :-D

19. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Yep!!! LOL

20. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

We get the stoopids down here as well Gloozit. But those 13-14 year olds did not have a CCL. Would be illegal for them to buy ammo. I carry a knife as well. :-D

In my experience, it is the the criminal subsection of society that violates the gun laws in most gun crimes.

The CCL people I have met have been excessively cautious when they carry. Just wanted to contrast the people I have met who carry with the 'use the gun to settle and argument' idots that should most likely not have a drivers license. ;)

21. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Little hoodlums with guns are not little kids to me... But I see your point Gloozit! :cool

22. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I have discovered why puppies have such unlimited energy. It's a form of vampirism; they suck all energy out of their owners.

23. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You all need to get out there and do some horribly sordid things so you can come back here and post about it. :-D

24. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yep. Then it gets worse. They rip out your heart. :cry

But good memories, good times, would not trade them for the world. Puppies? and no pictures? You are slacking Mimsy...:cool

25. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Well, got new axles coming in tomorrow for my car. Hopefully that will fix it. Hopefully going to Texas this fall to shoot the bird of peace with my shotgun forum peeps.

The sordid things we do, we don't post about. :-D:-D

Need a new shotgun... Thinking about a used Remington 870 Wingmaster 26 or 28" barrel with a modified choke...

26. Mimsy

I know... I'm sorry. :( I've been having some computer problems lately, and I'm procrastinating on fixing them. But since I don't want to be accused of being a slacker, here's a picture. :)

Attached Files:

27. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Aww!!! Beautiful dog! What is it's name? I love lab's and lab mixes. I am guessing that is what your dog is.

28. Mimsy

She's all lab, and her name is Mimsy. :) She's about five moths old now.

29. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Wherever did you come up with such a fitting name? ;)

30. Mimsy

I didn't. It was sikvik's idea, and it fits her, so now the puppy is Mimsy. :).

31. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

And a good name it is. Strong, short, good name.

32. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

How about those Canucks?

33. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

Guns, knives, dogs, and hockey.;)

34. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You ain't from around here are you?

:-D:-D

35. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

It is always worth it when you get it up and running Gloozit. ;)

36. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Hey Gloozit those are part of the pleasures of being a builder. if it was easy everybody would do it.:-D

37. Phantom

...Still building P.C.'s with hammers and hatchets, Glooz? .:p....I'll have to bring "THE HAT" out again!!!....roflmao

38. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Fred, I remember as well when MG Lounge was busy and a great place to visit everyday.

Since the demise of HBT, a lot of things are squelched and it had an effect on my posting. I even considered not posting this.

On top of this, relocation and new job have had me busy. Lastly, I migrated back to Win7 and that took some time. Due to a 40% cut in pay, I have alternative ways to earn substance and I am tired of fighting with developers who do not support anything but MS IE.

39. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Our 'new' printer showed up at work yesterday. About 16' wide, prints 80" wide, roll or cut media. Is a Vutek, don't recall then model number. Sucker has 2 onboard computers... Took a fork lift to get it off the trailer. :drool

Can't wait to learn to drive this beast! Will probably be late next week before we can fire it up, they have to finish the shop expansion, then we have to get wiring run, print heads checked out, then the fun begins. :-D

40. Spock96

Wow, :drool:drool Now that is a printer. Hahaha:-D
    I want one.

41. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

I must've missed you getting a new job Fred. That's why you seemed unconcerned about the other one, this one came along quick.
    Congrats.

42. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Spock, save your $. You can find them for around $20 to $30K.

Sibeer, unemployment was tough. The whole 5 hours I was unemployed... Got lucky there, was job shopping before I got fired. :cool

43. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

Actually they are usually referred to as "Plotters", not printers, I've had to purchase/setup a few of these in my career.

44. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

OK terminology nazi. :-D:-D

But their website calls them UV printers. http://w3.efi.com/vutek/

What if we compromise and call it one big son of a plotter. :-D

45. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Here ya go:

[​IMG]

Oops - you said plotters, not plodders...

Never mind...

:-o

46. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

well, yer a La. guy, so I should expect that from you, of course you also put a "bayonet" on a pistol (I still wonder about you after that) Please call me ANYTHING but a Nazi...I'm a red-blooded American gun mongerer just like you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plotter

47. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Actually, I have never put a bayonet on a pistol or revolver. Was going to put one on the Glock, but sold it before I had the cash to waste on a joke. :-D

Just joking about the nazi part. (note the no capitalization) It is a slang term, like Sienfeld's 'soup nazi', or say someone who is obsesive about the authenticity of say, a re enacters uniform would be a 'thread nazi'. No offense intended. :-D

While you may be an 'gun mogerer', I am a firearm enthusiast, a collector of new and historical firearms. Not some simple 'mongerer'. :-D:-D

And from your link: " It is now commonplace to refer to such wide-format printers as "plotters," even though they technically are not."

See, is a printer. If it were a plotter, why would it have print heads? Wouldn't it have plotter heads? :cool

Just goofing off. Still not used to having two days off a week. Well, I am off to fondle, I mean examine, a possible addition to my arms collection. Found a Remington Wingmaster in fair shape for a good price. Might be my new project.

48. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

Still called a plotter, Cajun :p

gun enthusiast, mongerer, hoarder, afictioninado, collector.... :-D

I'm seriously contemplating a KelTec SUB right now or a Hi Point 995TS. Alot of the carbines are getting real hard to find in stock. Also thought of a used Mosin Nagent as well.

oh.......shouldn't you be out wrestlin' a gator or sumthin??? :-D

49. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Gator rasslin? Are you serious? That is what the crazies down south do. If you don't have a Mosin or two, you should get one! Eventually the seemingly endless supply will run out. :-D They only made like 30 million of them... They are fun guns to shoot, especially if you have one of these: http://www.limbsaver.com/2011/firearms/38-39-40.php

And if you shop for guns or ammo online, this is a great place to check out:

http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype=arms&category=4&subcat=5

Looks like Classic Arms has a round receiver 91/30 for $89.

Still ain't calling a printer a plotter. :-D

50. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

I get most of my stuff from budsgunshop.com or cheaperthandirt.com or thegunsource.com

ammo I usually get locally, shipping charges kill the discount most of the time.

used to have a Remington 7mm mag, they kick like a mule

don't care, still called a plotter in corporate world, backwoods gun lover

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds