Monitor loses signal and computer reboots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bytor64, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Bytor64

Bytor64 Private E-2

Monitor will loses it's signal and the computer will reboot. Mostly it does this while on the internet. Thought I had a virus so I Reformatted the harddrive. This morning still doing it. My first thought was the video card but now I'not sure.

Pentium III 700
    256 ram
    Geforce 2 GTS
    300 watt pwr supply
    Abit Be 6 R2
    soundblaster live
    optiquest 19 monitor

2. ardebaran

ardebaran Private E-2

you must check with another video card... it must be the video card. The video card is AGP or PCI, MB ? You must check your Psu too !!

3. Bytor64

Bytor64 Private E-2

Replaced video card with an older one I had. Still doing it. :confused: :rolleyes:

4. ardebaran

ardebaran Private E-2

hmmm do you have another power supply, how much time do you have with it? it can be the Psu. too !!

5. Bytor64

Bytor64 Private E-2

I think I'll buy another computer :)

6. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Could also be a bad monitor, although rare I have seen a bad monitor crash windows 98.

Rick

7. angelicus5aok

angelicus5aok Private E-2

yeah....that usually fixes the problem. try the screen change first. I had the same problem with win98se was the Video card.....xp found the ulprit 12 seconds after installing it !

if you still want to change, then try
    TIGERDIRECT.COM

Get a good deal there, but look out for refurbished. they work, but you may want new.

Barebones is the route to go, may cost a bit more, but worth it.

you can pick your chip (amd XP for me)
    your hard drive. Western Digital for myu use (constant switching and gamming)
    and memmory....make sure you read board specifications BEFORE you choose memory. you may want to go with a smaller ampount for some (and relly on SWAP for the rest) or if the board allows, 500+ MB, using minimal SWAP.

Sound card, make sure it is compatible with the board as for video card.

Here is a good way to do it (i use AMD so go to AMD and see the board configs and which they work with best.. they are impartial and they give you a description of all the combos posible from asus to Zytech...

last, for partitioning.I found this system works for most users (i do computers for friends who got them from pc richards gateway etc....)
    Drive
    c: system - about 2.5 gigs for 98 (3.5 for Xp
    d: swap - Abotu 1.5-3 gigs (same 98/xp)
    e: prorams

8. angelicus5aok

yeah....that usually fixes the problem. try the screen change first. I had the same problem with win98se was the Video card.....xp found the ulprit 12 seconds after installing it !

if you still want to change, then try
    TIGERDIRECT.COM

Get a good deal there, but look out for refurbished. they work, but you may want new.

Barebones is the route to go, may cost a bit more, but worth it.

you can pick your chip (amd XP for me)
    your hard drive. Western Digital for myu use (constant switching and gamming)
    and memmory....make sure you read board specifications BEFORE you choose memory. you may want to go with a smaller ampount for some (and relly on SWAP for the rest) or if the board allows, 500+ MB, using minimal SWAP.

Sound card, make sure it is compatible with the board as for video card.

Here is a good way to do it (i use AMD so go to AMD and see the board configs and which they work with best.. they are impartial and they give you a description of all the combos posible from asus to Zytech...

last, for partitioning.I found this system works for most users (i do computers for friends who got them from pc richards gateway etc....)
    Drive
    c: system - about 2.5 gigs for 98 (3.5 for Xp
    d: swap - Abotu 1.5-3 gigs (same 98/xp)
    e: prorams

9. angelicus5aok

C: Ststem 98/xp 3-4 gigs (respectively)
    d: swap 1.5-3 gigs
    e: Prgrams 5-8 gigs
    f: games/media 1 gig oper game/ music guestimate needed)
    g: downloads

If 98/xp on same drive

c: system 98 3 gigs fat32
    d: swap (both) 3 gigs fat32
    e: programs98 4 gigs (unless youneed more) fat 32
    f: programs xp 4 gigs nfs
    g: music 6-10 gigs fat32
    h: System xp 4 gigs nfs

Sound card and video card MUST be compatible with the Mother Board, not win98 or xp.....and learn where the shared IRQ's are and do not use sound on shared. Video is AGP if PCI, not shared too.

Install 98 first, then update, defrag, reboot.
    Then Install XP separate drive...update, defrag

Then programs 98/ then xp...update defrag.
    then games....defrag
    then transfer music files and you are one with a kickas home based system

Good luck and print this for reference when shopping.

See ya

10. Bytor64

Bytor64 Private E-2

It was the power supply! :) Thanks again for everyone's input.

Charlie

11. Sgtmackenzie

Sgtmackenzie Private E-2

Be careful when working with Tigerdirect to purchase anything. Some prices may seem too good to be true and they are. A buddy of mine and my Dad both got good deals, but it's been 6 months now and neither of them have seen a single rebate.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds